Chapter 1

"I'm going to miss you so much, Haven", I hear my friend Becca say. "School won't be the same without you."

"I'll miss you too", I reply half-heartedly. Honestly, I'm looking forward to leaving this school... especially the people here. I had a plan for who I wanted to be. And here, at Millcrest High School, I am not that person. Not even close.

"It's going to be hard to replace you", someone else says. I smile weakly in response. Everyone is so superficial here. 

I'm cleaning out my locker right now, just like everyone else. It's our last day of school before the summer but unlike everyone around me, I'm not coming back here. I'm transferring to Greenfield High, where I know almost nobody. That's the way it should be, I think. 

I'm taking the pictures of me and Becca and our friend group off my locker door when I see Aiden, the boyfriend I broke up with a few weeks ago, approach me. "Hey, can I talk to you?", he says.

Aiden was a good guy. He didn't hurt me, it was definitely the other way around. He was actually kind of perfect but being the bitch I am, I dumped him cause I was, well, just done. That's just an example of the kind of things I'm leaving behind here. 

"Yeah", I answer. I close my locker door and follow him to a quiet spot at the end of the crowded hallway. 

"Aiden, I already know what you're going to say", I said before he could speak. "You're going to apologize for whatever made me dump you and then you're going to wish me the best and there will probably be a kiss goodbye."

Aiden paled a little bit, and I knew that I'd hit the nail on the head. 

"You don't have to, okay? It wasn't your fault. It was me, I just didn't need a relationship. Don't go out of your way to make amends. I won't be back in the fall and we'll both be over it."

"You waste no time, do you", Aiden says quietly. "Don't know why I bothered trying. Have a good summer, Haven. And don't worry, I'll keep my goodbye-kiss to myself."

I watched as he walked away. The pang of guilt in my chest made me feel like I was going to burst. I would be leaving this though and I'd be moving on. Hopefully, I'd become the person I'd wanted to be. The one who didn't get involved with the wrong crowd. The one who didn't hurt people. I took a deep breath and went to say goodbye to Becca. Again. 

My phone said 3:26. 4 minutes until the end of the day and my time at Millcrest. 

I make my way to Becca's locker and out of nowhere, a body hits me from the side. "Hey, watch where you're going", I mutter. I look up to see Charlie, a kid no one really pays attention to. "Sorry", he mutters quietly as he moves away and avoids eye contact with me. I shake it off and continue. 

"Hey Becca", I called. She abandoned her locker and ran to me. Before I knew it, I was pulled into a spine crushing hug. 

"Don't change, okay?", Becca asked as she pulls away and looks me in the eye. "Oh man, who am I going to go breaking hearts with next year?"

"I'm sure you'll find someone", I assured her. She smiled and hugged me again. Poor Becca. I was definitely going to change. I was counting on it. 

+ + + + + + + + + +

I got in my mother's car after school ended and I didn't look back. This time next year, I would be different. There had to be more than this for me.

Greenfield isn't a perfect place. But anything is better than Millcrest. 

"How was your last day?", my mom asked from the driver's seat.

"Fine, mom", I answered. 

"I wonder what this day will look like for you next year", she said. 

I wonder too, mom. I really do.

I left everything at Millcrest and no part of me missed any of it.

******************

Hey guys!

So this is the 1st chapter of my new Nick Robinson fan fiction. I'm pretty excited about it and I hope you are too! I have a pretty good idea of where this story is going. I know there isn't much to comment on, but I'd love if you guys would continue to leave feedback for me like you did for my last fan fiction (Between Me & You). You are are great! Thanks for reading:)

That_Epiphany