Chapter 9

After that, Nick and I started talking again. And texting. And calling. We were pretty much talking all the time. But something was different. Nick was flirty with me now. Even more than he was before. Every time I saw him he would compliment me in some way or tickle me or wrap his arms around me. This time, things were very different.

One day after school, Nick and I were in line at the Starbucks in the mall. It was crowded, as the Starbucks usually is, and Nick and I were standing close to each other, his arm wrapped around my waist. As we approached the front of the line, I reached into my bag for my wallet, obviously planning on paying for myself. Before I could open it, Nick took the wallet from my hands and tucked it back into my bag.

"What are you doing?", I asked as I reached for it again.

"I'll pay for you", Nick answered as he pulled out his own wallet.

"What? No", I protested. "You don't have to do that."

"I want to, Haven."

"But-"

"But nothing, let me do something nice for you", Nick said, interrupting me.

When we reached the counter where there was an eager barista waiting to take our order. I stood silently beside Nick as he ordered and payed.

"You two make a really adorable couple", the barista said after she put the orders in.

"Oh, we're not-"

"Thanks", Nick said, interrupting me yet again. "I thought so too." Nick grabbed my hand and pulled me away.

"What was that?", I asked.

"It's just easier to give in sometimes, Haven", Nick answered casually.

"What do you mean?"

"If I say we aren't together, they always say that we should be and how we'd be so cute and whatever."

"Not that many people ask", I mumbled.

"Yes actually, many people do", Nick replied. "Come on, it's not like you haven't thought about it."

I laughed nervously and looked away, knowing that if I kept eye contact, I'd blush uncontrollably.

When we got our drinks, Nick and I left the Starbucks and found a vacant bench in the mall. We sat close together, our knees touching. 

"Haven", Nick said out of no where. "You know I care about you, right?"

"Yeah", I answered, unsure of where the conversation was going.

"We've been hanging out a lot lately and being with you has made me realize that I have feelings for you."

I had no idea how to respond. What was I supposed to say?

"I was wondering if you-"

"Nick I'm sorry", I interrupted.

"You're sorry?", he said, sounding confused.

"I can't get involved with you, Nick. It's not a good idea. I love being with you, but I don't think I can be with you LIKE THAT."

"Haven", Nick said even though I had already stood up.

"I have to go", I said as I began to walk away. He didn't try and stop me.

I don't know why I rejected him, honestly. Maybe because of Dylan. Maybe because I'd been such a bitch to my last boyfriend. Whatever it was, I'd ruined something really good.

+ + + + + + + + + +

"He what?", Daphne asked when we were in class together the next day. I was sitting with Daphne and Ava and telling them about what happened with Nick.