Chapter 6

Our recent 5 day weekend felt way too long. Daphne's words rang through my mind the whole time. Could I be responsible for Nick's failing relationship? We were just getting close, I didn't want him to have any reason to hate me. And Dylan would hate me too, even after years of knowing each other.

On the Monday after the long weekend, Nick was in social class before me. I sat down beside him and cautiously glanced at him. He looked tired, defeated.

"You okay?", I asked him cautiously.

"What? Oh yeah, I'm fine", he answered. "Dylan and I broke up."

I felt a guilty pang in my chest. "Why?", I asked.

"She's crazy, just completely insane", Nick said. I knew to drop it then but I couldn't help but feel like it was at least partly my fault.

+ + + + + + + + + +

"Yup, it was because of you", Daphne told me when we were sitting together at lunch that day. I had asked her about Dylan and she told me that Dylan went on a huge rant in class that day talking about her breakup with Nick and how much she blamed me for it.

"Just great", I mumbled.

"Did Nick seem mad at you?", Daphne asked.

"No, he just wasn't himself."

"How could he be? He liked her a lot."

"That doesn't help", I complained.

"Oh calm down", Daphne said. "It's kind of cute that his relationship failed because he was paying so much attention to you."

"Whatever you say..."

"So? Do you like him?"

I looked down at my lap as I tried to formulate an answer. "I don't know... I don't want to say no cause I'm not sure but I can't say that I do either."

"Just wait, I bet you guys are going to end up together after chasing each other for like ever and it'll be the cutest thing."

I laughed and unfortunately couldn't hide my blushing cheeks.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Weeks later, Nick was back to his normal self. It was like the breakup, or the whole relationship, didn't even happen. I was grateful that he was over it so quickly and I didn't have to feel guilty anymore. At least not about him. Dylan acted like she didn't even know me but at least there was no confrontation.

In all our classes, we were preparing for finals which were coming up in less than a month. Everyone was stressed out, especially me. Nick didn't seem bothered and was constantly distracting me when I was trying to study.

"How nervous are you for this exam", he asked me in math class one day.

"Too nervous", I answered without looking up from my work.

"You didn't seem that nervous about the English final last semester", Nick responded.

"English is easier than math", I said.

"Oh come on, nothing is hard for you, you're way too smart."

"I wish."

"Why am I more confident in you than you are?"

I looked up from my work and met his eyes which were staring at me intently. "Maybe you should save some of that confidence for yourself", I said quietly.

Nick smiled and his eyes lit up. "Then who would have confidence for you?"

"I'd figure something out", I said as I turned my attention back to the math worksheet in front of me.

"Well until you figure something out", he said, mocking me only a little. "I got you."

I grinned and nodded, slightly refreshed from the unexpected encouragement. I'd take what I could get, I guess.

************

Hey readers,

Sorry for the wait and I'm sorry that this chapter is so short. Nick is kind of a hard character to write lately for some reason but don't worry, I have plans. Thanks for reading! 

That_Epiphany 

P.S. shoutout to my new follower @madss_emma ==> Thanks so much!