Chapter 18 - Pride

"W-what...?"

I looked into Xavier's eyes, too shocked to speak.

He didn't think I was a monster, he cared about me. He didn't mind what I was, and he knew now.

There's no changing that.

I felt my tears come again, happy tears this time, and I threw my arms around Xavier's neck and let them flow freely.

"What? What's wrong?" Xavier asked, confused.

"Nothing! Nothing at all!" I exclaimed happily as I squeezed him tighter.

I could tell he was still confused, but I just laughed. I released him and he held me out at arms length, and we just both stared into each others eyes. It was nice, peaceful, and I was more than happy than he was alive.

That is, until I realized I still have to explain what happened.

"Uhm..Xavier...about what happened..." I began while playing with my hair.

Xavier shushed me and hugged me before I could continue.

"It's okay, I know your not a monster, I would never see you like that." Xavier said as he rubbed my back soothingly.

I pushed him away, but kept him at arms length and looked into his eyes.

"Do you know why I acted like that?" I blurted out before I could contain myself.

Xavier just stared back at, and didn't answer. I took that as a no.

"Im,.......well, you probably already know im-"

"A mermaid?" Xvaier finished for me.

I nodded slowly, not making eye contact.

I had the lower part of my body hidden behind the rock, and I sta up all the way next to Xavier, lugging my tail over the side so it was in full view.

Xavier didn't say anything, which made me nervous. My tail was scratched up and bleeding from the shark attack from earlier, but my blue scales had almost a gold reflection from the crystal waters of the lagoon, even though the sun was almost below the horizon.

Xavier surprised me by reaching a hand out and touching my tail, but he probably didn't even know mermaids existed until he saw me shift.

We were forgotten on purpose, and when people did figure it out, they feared us.

After a few moments he was still silent, until his tail trailed down to my most severe scratch marks.

"How did you get these?" Xavier asked, sounding almost mad.

"It was nothing, I scratched it on some coral by accident." I lied.

He frowned, but didn't ask anymore questions. He pulled me into his lap and my tial hung over the side and I held onto him for support, since he caught me off balance.

I still refused to look him in the eye as I continued to explain.

"Every full moon I have to be in the water, and mermaids fall under some sort-of trance, I dont know how to explain it. Its like if your wolf took complete control and you work up the next day with no idea what happened." I tried to explain.

Xavier nodded after a few silent moments, he seemed to understand as much as I did, but I didn't really understand that much either, no one does.

"I'm sorry for anything I did, I remember most parts, but not everything." I said apologetically.

Xavier gave me a sad smile and rested his forehead against mine.

He looks dtired, and considering what he went through, I couldn't blame him.