Chapter 20 - Clues

"Are you okay?"

The marking did hurt more than I expected, but it was worth it.

It was very painful at first when I felt his teeth pierce my skin and I clung onto his shoulders to prevent myself from collapsing. After the first thirty seconds the pain subsided to a intense throbbing, and I started to feel a little bit light headed.

Xavier retracted his teeth from my shoulder and placed a soft kiss on it and I drowsily smiled. I felt really tired, which was normal since my body was adjusting to the mark.

What worried was that we weren't the same species and my body might reject the mark, and I didn't know what would happen if I did reject it....no, I cant think about that.

The mark was really itchy, but I didn't say anything, I didn't want to worry Xavier. He probably didn't know there was the possibility of me rejecting him, but i knew because of what my father told me about mates.

It wasn't up to me, it was up to Nerissa. She was our goddess, and we are her children. The very first mermaid and Triton is her biological son. Shes the one who puts us under that spell every month under the full moon, and puts us under her control. My kind worships her, but mermaids have never been mated to anyone other than their own kind, and I didn't know if she would allow one of her children to be mated to anyone else.

"Calista..?"

"Hmm..?"

I suddenly felt very tired, I could barely hold my head up and Xavier was holding most of my weight.

"Are you okay? How do you feel?" Xavier asked, I could tell he looked a bit worried but he was trying to hide it.

"Ya, im fine, just...tired. I think im going to bed."

"Are you sure..?"

"Ya I feel-"

I stumbled a bit but Xavier held onto me, and I could tell he was worried.

"I think....I think I'm gonna go to bed..."

I let go of Xavier and took a step towards the door out almost immediately collapsed, but Xavier managed to catch me just in time.

"Calista!"

My limbs felt like they weighed 1000 punds, and then they felt like they weighed nothing. Sometimes people fall asleep after they're marked so I shouldn't be worried.....should I?

----------

° Calistas Dream °

Ugh.....why does my head hurt so much..?

I lifted up my head and saw that it wasn't resting on Xavier pillow, but on a rock. Underwater.

What..? Where am I? I don't remember going under water...wait! I know this rock!

I turned to my left and saw the familiar ridge next to our cave. Home.

I quickly picked myself off the ground and swam as fast as I could toward the cave...my home.

"Dad..! Mom..!"

I burst through the door, except I wasn't inside my house. I was back on land in the woods. In Xaviers woods.

"Calista....!"

I whipped my head around, and sure enough, there they were.

My family.

"Mom..! Dad...!"

And behind them, all my brothers.

I felt tears prickly my eyes as I ran towards them, their arms open to me. I didn't stop as I crashed into my father's chest, my tears staining his shirt. He was real. He was here.