Chapter Fourteen

Thin Lines - Chapter Fourteen

It would turn out to be a long lunch indeed.

A good fifteen minutes had gone by in which the only voices heard were Austin and Ally as they tried to string up topics of conversation. Trish and Dez were too into they're thoughts to really contribute.

Which is why it was a horrible surprise to the both of them when Ally suddenly said "I'm gonna go get something from my locker - Austin, come with?"

Both Trish and Dez suddenly on alert snapped their heads up. Were they actually about to be left alone?

"We'll be back in a bit," said Austin with a smirk on his face. Ally tried to hide her smile but failed as she walked away with her boyfriend.

Silence.

There was now nothing but silence at the table between Trish and Dez. Both of their minds were running at a mile a minute, and after what felt like hours (but was really five minutes) of quietly picking at their respective food, Dez decided to speak up.

"So...uh, how have you been?" Dez watched as the girl in front of him visibly tensed, before she looked up at him with an awkward looking smile.

"Good. You?" She caught herself before her response came out as a stutter. Gosh, what was wrong with her?!

"Me too - I mean, yeah I've been good too," Dez's eyes never wavered from hers after he spoke. Caught in a silent stare off, both had to urge to utter words that would take them into a whole other territory.

I miss you.

And nobody was ready for that.

Biting her lip, Trish ceased the eye contact between them, prompting Dez to clear his throat and look away from her also. Glancing around the cafeteria he noticed that Austin and Ally seemed to have completely vanished.

Almost as if they weren't coming back...

Dez scowled once he figured out what the couple were up to.

Those scheming little -

"Okay, this is stupid." Dez looked back towards Trish at her outburst, his thoughts interrupted.

"Huh?"

"This! The way we're acting." She sighed and folded her arms on the table.

"There's not even a reason for us to be acting like this...right?" Dez folded his lips as he stared at her. He could say yes and bring them into a new place in their relationship, or...

"...No. You're right." Take the cowards way out. Which is exactly what he did. He watched her as she smiled and felt his heart flutter. If it meant lying to himself to see such a beautiful expression on his face then it was worth it. Besides, she clearly didn't feel the same way if she would bring this up.

Little did he know, Trish's heart was sinking at his response. He was so quick to agree with her that it confirmed her worries. He didn't feel the same way about her. In fact, she had already figured he was probably just caught up in the moment when he decided to lean into her on top of the ferris wheel. Looks like she had been right.

Not wanting to think about it anymore, Trish spoke again.

"Great. Now that's settled I'm stealing your fries," before Dez could stop her she swiped a few and put them on her plate with a smirk. He didn't say anything, just watched her with a small smile on his lips.

-TXD-

"I don't understand why you decided to walk today Ally," Trish groaned as they walked with their arms linked, out of the school's exit. The day was finally over and two best friends were on their way home.