Chapter Two

Thin Lines - Chapter Two

"So, you and Ally Dawson really are a thing?" Dez finally asked out loud after several minutes of debating whether to do so. He and Austin were leaning against the bike rack located at the front of their school, enjoying the time they had before homeroom started. Dez however, was still finding the concept of his best friend's latest 'love interest' being an actual love interest hard to process. He was so used to Austin giving attention to girls more...out there. Kira Starr and Cassidy Brown being perfect examples of Austin's supposed type. Ally Dawson was a change however, and quite a huge one in fact. She was shy, polite and down to earth - that much he had concluded from the times he had spoken to her.

Though said times hadn't been many, because that she devil she called a best friend was with her most of the time.

"We're not just a thing, Dez," Austin corrected him, glancing back at a few of their friends that were still mocking Chuck. The boy still had yet to get out of the fountain as he was continuously slipping on his cowboy boots. "She's my girlfriend."

Dez stared at Austin in astonishment before slowly shaking his head. "I've never heard you say that before." And it was true. He had yet to hear Austin refer to a girl he was hooking up with as anything more than a hook up until that very moment. Ally Dawson must have been really special.

"That's because this is the first time I actually want to say it...I really like her dude." A smile made it's way onto Dez's face - and not just because of the sight Chuck was making of himself.

"Well that's great man," He patted the blonde on the shoulder. "I've been waiting for a pretty girl to snap you up." Austin laughed good naturally.

"You sound like you're trying to be a parent."

"I might as well be a good one, son." They both laughed together this time until Dez remembered something important.

"Ugh, but how am I going to hang around you two if Trish is there." He said her name with such conviction, as if it were a struggle to get out without choking. His mind wandered back to their first mini argument of the new year barely twenty minutes prior and how the scowl on her face seemed to have gotten worse since he'd last seen her. Two minutes in that girl's presence was a hard thing to muster let alone ten if she was always going to be around.

He didn't sign up for this.

"You can always try and be nice to her. You do have the hots for her after all." Austin waited for the words to sink into Dez's mind and had to stifle back a laugh at the expression now present on his face.

"Have you been inhaling pancake syrup again? 'Cause that is not a funny joke."

"Oh come on Dez! You guys bicker like an old married couple twenty-four, seven. That's got to mean something," Dez glanced away for a brief moment with disdain, the thought of being married to such a angry girl almost making him shudder.

"Oh it means something alright. That we'd probably kill each other after only a week of marriage! She might be okay looking and everything but -"

"Oh, so you've thought about her in that way before huh?" A smirk was now on Austin's lips and Dez's eyes widened; comically resembling a deer caught in the headlights.

"It's not what you think...stop looking at me like that, it was completely unintentional!" He exclaimed loudly.

There had been a very brief moment in time in which he had found himself wondering what it would be like to kiss her. He had decided long ago however, that it wasn't his fault for more than one reason.