Chapter Nine

Thin Lines - Chapter Nine

Trish stared at the wooden door in front of her like it was her enemy. Her fingers were gripping the box of chocolates Ally had forced her to buy with her own money by her side with agitation. There was no way she could do this...there had to be something else she could do. She had teased the idea of leaving a note with the chocolates on the porch, ringing the doorbell and making a run for it...but even she wasn't that pathetic. Trish continued to woefully look upon the door with a sigh. She would've never pictured herself ever being in this situation two weeks ago...man how her life had changed.

She was standing outside Dez's house, so she could apologise to him. Oh how the mighty had fallen.

After knocking him out the day before, she had heard the nurse had deemed he take a day or two off of school. Going home that same day she hadn't felt that bad about the situation. But after not physically seeing him in school for a whole day, the day after, guilt had hit her like a lightning bolt. The judging stares and head shakes she had gotten from other students didn't help either. This was how Ally had managed to convince her that apologising in person was the right thing to do - hence why she was now currently fretting about knocking on Dez Wade's door.

Biting her lip, she decided to just get it over with and quickly pressed the doorbell before she wussed out again. She waited a couple of seconds before the door swung open, and she was met with a tall teenage boy whose hair was in dissary and who was also sporting a huge bruise on the bridge of his nose. In other words, Dez post the dodgeball incident.

He actually kind of rocks the whole messy haired thing well...wait, what? SHUT UP TRISH.

"Uh...hey." Was all she could say. For once, (and not that she'd ever admit it out loud) she found Dez to be somewhat intimidating with the way he was leering at her. He didn't say anything in response for a good minute or two and when he did, he didn't sound any happier than the expression on his face was showing her.

"What are you doing here, crazy? Come to finish the job on my entire face now?" He leaned against the open space where the door usually fit itself. Trish cleared her throat awkwardly before rolling her eyes.

"No," She replied with an attitude, "I came here to...to..." The fact she was doing this was still amazing to her. She was pretty sure after this moment he would never let her live it down. Dez raised his eyebrows expectantly, slightly confused as to why she looked so silently pained.

"To what? Waste my time? I have Netflix on pause that I abandoned for this." A scowl was almost instantly on her face at his rude words.

"No you idiot, to apologise! There I said it." She shoved the box of chocolates into his chest before continuing.

"I'm sorry for throwing a dodgeball at your face okay? And I bought those with my own money so you better enjoy them." Dez was silent again, his eyes holding bewilderment as he looked upon her. Feeling uncomfortable under his stare, Trish averted her eyes and took a step back.

"Well, if your done staring a hole into my face I'm -"

"Thanks." Dez said, abruptly interrupting Trish's sentence. She didn't want to used the word 'touched' to describe the look on his face he was trying to mask, but that was the only word that came to mind when she looked back at him.

"Sure...see you when you come back to school I guess."

She turned to leave but stopped when Dez loudly said "Wait!". Slowly, she turned around again, confused as to what else he could possibly want. "Yeah?"

"Uh...can you come in for a sec? We need to talk." He looked as awkward as she felt, but she was also feeling curious as to what he wanted to say to her.