Book 4⌇2. Blame It On Me

Chapter 2 ∣  Blame It on Me

-Maverick

Considering the whole situation wasn't my fault, I'm the only one who was dragged into my father's office, my mother approaching the door before he shuts it just short of her entering. The nasty growl that comes from the other side of the door causes my father to flinch slightly...slightly is the keyword.

"Sit," he orders dryly, walking around the left side of his large desk, his dark war-like looking clothing has me worried. I figure the hunters will hunt down and kill any lingering rogue vampires that might relate to the one Zak and Rainier had killed, but with my father dressed the way he is, I know he'd be sending out a group of vampires as well, including himself.

For being the King, he does a lot of grunt work.

My mother speaks often of how they wish they could still roam the world and enjoy everything it has to offer, but with their titles, they would be too large of a target to travel anywhere safety. That's why my grandfather is still considered more powerful than my father. My grandfather can travel with my grandmother and seek out new alliances after the apparent crumble of the vampire empire. They aren't raising a rebellion or anything, to them, the world as it is...it's much more peaceful. No, they reach out to covens in order to secure alliances in case there ever is a reason to go to war...again.

My father had stolen my candy bag and given it to Lucette, my mood already sour as I huff and take a seat in the big ebony cushioned chair, my legs dangling just shy of the floor. Avoiding my father's piercing hazel eyes, I attempt to look around the office, ignoring him as he sits behind the desk.

"Maverick," my father's voice isn't kind, giving him a sideways glance and then continuing to ignore him.

Why am I the only one being punished?

It was all Lucette's fault in the first place. She shouldn't have wandered off and let her curiosity get the best of her. It was her fault that Arlynn and Tamsin were injured. Why in the world am I being blamed?!

"Look at me when I'm talking to you," I roll my eyes in annoyance and lock my eyes with my father's, the anger clearly reflecting as the low lightly glints off them.

I sigh, "What?"

"Why didn't you help? Why didn't you try to save your fellow coven members...let alone your sister's life?" my father leans his right arm against the chair armrest, the side of his chin resting firmly against his knuckles.

I don't say a word.

Is it because I fear the still unstable control over my blood magic?

That it might hinder more than help in the situation with the rogue vampire?

I've only practiced and trained with Orion and my grandmother, but they have never advanced their attacks with as much determination and relentlessness as the rogue vampire had with Arlynn and Tamsin.

Then, there is a part of me that wants to see exactly what a rogue vampire can do, what power they hold. With Rainier and Zak's swift motions and perfect execution of skill, it's unnerving to see that the rogue vampire is not that powerful, in fact, compared to the hunters, he was incredibly weak.

Let's see where lying gets me, it usually doesn't hurt...

"I was scared," I reply, watching as my father's knuckles that he's leaning his chin against turns white, his eyes flaring with more anger than before.

Well shoot...looks like I can't lie my way out of this one.

My father states darkly, "You? Scared? I find that incredibly hard to believe. Though you are a mere child, you are a vampire child nonetheless, and your strength and power are beyond that of what that rogue vampire held. You are a pureblood vampire, Maverick, there are few in this world that can knock you down."