Book 4⌇24. The Rogues She Leads

Chapter 24 ∣  The Rogues She Leads

-Maverick

My blood runs cold at Veronica's question. Her eyes sparking with amusement, her knowing stare filled with so much knowledge.

Is she an assassin?

There's no other possible way she could know that Tamsin is here. Tamsin told me herself that no one else can see her unless they possess the inherited ability as well. Well...I guess I'm a special case for being able to learn it.

Maybe she did as well?

"I'm not going to kill you," she stated, "seriously, do come out of hiding little girl...or I really will think you're a threat."

In the next two seconds, Tamsin appears beside me, shyly looking away from Veronica.

"A rogue pureblood, huh?" Colton asks, walking up next to Veronica and eyeing us suspiciously.

"That's a first," She shrugs her shoulders and turns her attention on Tamsin, "I'm more interested in why he has an assassin with him."

I slowly let the air that I had been holding in my lungs out, "I'm Maverick."

Veronica lifts her brows and whispers quietly, "Interesting," she pauses, glancing at Colton before returning to me, "you must be Lucca's son. You're the one all those coven leaders are talking about. The rogue that fled his execution. Word travels very fast and even after these few years...they're still talking about it."

"No," I shake my head, "I'm Evicka's son. Lucca doesn't have a son anymore." I spit the words out with venom. I haven't referred to him as my 'father' since he exiled me. I didn't know he was planning my death as well. That boils my blood, anger flaring within me. Tamsin reaches out her hand, touching my upper arm and I instantly let go. I don't want to get us into danger, and so far, these rogues are regarding us without an intent to kill them.

Veronica chuckles and then grins, "That 'a boy. Lucca really is just a nasty piece of work. I have my own reservations about him. Evicka, on the other hand, well, she doesn't get involved with these types of issues, so I really don't mind her."

"Who are you?" I ask, then I motion around me, "Why are there rogues here?"

"As I mentioned before, we take refuge here now that the hunters have long since left," Veronica nods her head, Colton walking away from her and sitting down on the couch she had previously been occupying. She tosses her red hair over her shoulder and replies simply, "As for who I am, I'm Veronica and I'm the leader of the rogues that decide to stay within this sanctuary."

Tamsin is about to speak, but Veronica cuts her off, "And yes, I'm an assassin just like you."

"What are you going to do to us?" Tamsin asks with fright in her voice.

"Nothing," she states, her eyes resting on me, "however, I would like to properly let this vampire feed. Tell me, do you just feed on her?" She points at Tamsin.

"Yes," I reply hastily, not wanting to even mention Kenzie or Killian, or that I have anyone else constantly with me.

Veronica's eyes spark once again, "How about new blood then?" She snaps her fingers, a young female vampire making her way to her side. She appears to just be a few years older than me, her hair matching the same color as Veronica's, those eyes, reflecting the same citrine.

"This is my daughter, Gwyn," Veronica motions to the vampire before me, "since I don't need you killing off any humans that so graciously decide to come to us willingly, you may feed on her."