Book 4⌇31. Promise Me

Chapter 31 ∣  Promise Me

-Tamsin

In the week we had come back, I haven't spoken a single word to anyone. Lucette had changed so much...well, her personality remained the same. She tried to get me to talk, to escape the confines of my room that I had knowingly secluded myself to. Hours and hours, she would try to slip into my mind, begging me to talk to her, about how I was, about what happened while we were gone, and about how Maverick was.

She didn't know.

No one knew...

In a way, I don't mind that my parents want to just keep what had happened between us. A secret that is better left alone as it only makes me feel ashamed of myself.

I caused this.

If I had just let Maverick be, and not asked him to be my first...

...we would more than likely have left on better terms.

The way he looked at me, the hurt in his eyes because though it was nothing more than a small bundle of cells, it had a heartbeat. That being was alive...and my father had ripped it away from not only myself, but Maverick as well.

Where are you?

Oh? That's the sound of someone knocking on my door, more than likely trying to get me to once again, come out and pretend like nothing ever happened. To rejoin my life among this coven, will be quite different.

The reason being...

My father is technically Locaine's assassin and he abides by both Lucca and his orders. Though, Lucca is the current coven leader and the King of the Vampires. If I am to go back to normal, now that I am in my teens, I'll be heavily trained, farther than I've been pushed before to protect this coven. Thankfully, I do have my father as most assassins have no one...

...even though I hate him with a burning passion, and I wish I could rip his heart out and see how he likes it.

"Tamsin?" The voice has been speaking my name a few times, before I finally decide to listen, recognizing it first as Arlynn, but then my name is called again, this time by Lucette, "Come on, Tam, you have to come out of there sometime. What happened?"

That is the other thing they don't know...

Maverick is a full rogue now and the only blessing I can have in my parents keeping this as a secret is that Lucca would have every hunter more actively looking for him and trying to kill him.

He's the biggest target...

...if so, and my father wants him dead, wouldn't he speak up?

"We're coming in," Lucette finally sighs, jiggling the door handle.

"No, you're not," I reply quietly, my back against the headboard of the bed, wearing a baggy sweatshirt and light shorts, my knees drawn up to my chest with a pillow clutched in my arms. My tears have made quite the stains on the smooth and soft surface, lifting my face up from the fabric and sighing. My bare feet rest on the covers, my toes curling and digging into the softness as I try to imagine myself away from here.

All these vampires, who were supposed to love and care, watch out and help him grow, were never once there for Maverick, the way he truly needed them. It was their fault...whatever is to come next...they are all to blame.

"Yes," Arlynn is the first through the door, "we are," she finishes, moving into the room and coming near the foot of the bed. Lucette shuts the door behind her softly, her long white hair in two low ponytails while Arlynn's flaming red hair falls in a sea of waves, brushing past her chest.