Book 4⌇6. Special

Chapter 6 ∣  Special

-Maverick

After dinner, I lie down on the couch in the living room, the T.V. playing in the background. Distractedly tossing a small ball up into the air and then letting it sail back down to my chest, right before catching it and repeating this action every few seconds.

What does Orion mean by my anger causing me to hurt someone I wish I hadn't? To be honest, there are far and few people who I care about as very little return the favor. I'll never do anything to the ones I love, I'll never lose control and kill them.

He's worried about nothing.

The ball falls back into my hands and I pause for a moment.

Then again, it is kind of nice to have someone who does worry about me, it makes me feel connected and pushes away all the hate for the ones who would so easily turn on me. Orion does care about me and my wellbeing and he's impartial to my father's actions and judgment. That's exactly why Orion and Cristela refuse to become part of a coven, as they are still part hunter, original hunters who can help keep the peace from the other side.

I let the ball fly up in the air once again, although this time a hand reaches out and snatches it in mid-air. Sitting up swiftly, my eyes lock with Cristela's, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

My lips part, about to speak to her when she shakes her head, nodding in the direction of the front door. It is still dark outside, what few lights that light up the outside homes is far and few, the true lights coming from the stars above.

She opens the door, holding the ball in her left hand as she ushers me out, closing the door behind us. Cristela's hair is pulled up and into a loose bun, wisps of hair flying free as the wind catches and tugs them, her eyes overlooking the few buildings.

Quickly tossing the ball, I fumble for a second, her movement is unexpected. She chuckles, walking to the far side of the porch and placing her hands against the railing, her eyes glancing back at me.

"Your father unjustly has passed judgment on you," her voice breaks the silence, my footsteps against the wood causes it to squeak every now and then on the loose boards. Moving to the railing, I hoist myself up, sitting on it and staring back at her.

"You should tell him that..." I sigh, knowing nothing can ever change his mind.

"It was never your fault, what happened to your mother," She states, the intrigue in her voice piques my interest. No one really explained about what led up to what had happened to my mother, only Orion had ever told me about how my mother made a name for herself in this world before my time.

"What happened?" I ask, rolling the ball between my hands, picking at the side of it.

Cristela appears thoughtful, her eyes reliving a long-lost story that has been buried in time, keeping our innocence intact. No one wants to pull us into the dark past, only the future that this treaty has made possible for all of us.

"Your mother wanted peace, just like Orion," she begins, lifting herself onto the railing next to me, taking the ball from my hands and bouncing it on the porch. I reach out and catch it, repeating the same action she had as we pass it back and forth. She continues her story, "She was and is an amazing woman. Evicka is so strong, just like her mother and father in both heart and physical strength. She went to the ends of the world to search for one of the very first purebloods."

"Erebus," a picture of Rook, technically Orion's uncle, causes me to stifle a laugh, but I don't let her see it.

She nods, "She did this all while carrying you," she pokes me in the arm and I meet her gaze, "Erebus told her not to use her blood magic as each time she did, you would siphon both her life force and the magic from within her. Orion was shot by a ranger and it was your mother that reconstructed his heart, his life hanging in the balance as he was already a vampire. Selflessly putting herself at risk to save a hunter, showed just how far she was willing to go for this peace to take place."