Book 4⌇15. Joke Gone Too Far

Chapter 15 ∣  Joke Gone Too Far

-Tamsin

"Maverick!" I yell in horror, grasping the ground with my hands shakily. I'm sitting down, my knees close to my chest with my arms pushing my body up, Maverick standing before me, his eyes a black rose and full of anger. My eyes are wide, the blood encircling his body, moving at an intense speed.

"Stop!" Lucette runs up to him, but he just flicks his wrist, a portion of the blood coming alive and wrapping around his sister's stomach. It takes hold of her, throwing her small body against the tree, Rook in turn running toward her.

His attention never leaves me, his eyes narrowing when I try to back away, crying out, "I'm sorry! It was just a joke! I'd never actually do that to you!"

The moonlight glints off his eyes, the blood moving from around him and ensnaring my wrists and ankles, causing me to scream when he suddenly drags me closer to him.

**

Tag.

We are playing tag and when you play with vampires, you must move very, very fast.

Rook is over, Lucette following him around the entire visit until I ask Maverick what he wanted to do. It was Lucette that suggest hide and seek, but since Arlynn could play with us while all the adults were speaking about much more important things, she didn't want to hide like she normally does.

It is the same for me, I don't want to just hide like my entire existence might eventually become if I'm ever the sole assassin of a coven. That is no life to live, and I want to enjoy being a child.

So, Rook suggest a hide and seek tag combo. If you are caught, you will have to help the 'it' person find the rest of the group until there is just one person standing. It doesn't seem like any harm will come from playing a child's game, but then again, we aren't really children...not in our hearts, maybe with our appearance, but we are growing up quickly inside.

"Alright, who's it?" Arlynn crosses her arms in front of her chest, the red curls flowing out and framing her face, her emerald eyes sparking with what appears to be amusement. She doesn't get to have fun often, so this is a real treat for her.

Lucette points at her brother and yells, "Maverick!"

He glances from her and then to each of us, "Why do I always have to be the bad guy?"

"Because you're good at it," she giggles and hides behind Rook. He just laughs and looks to Arlynn. I can tell Maverick isn't thrilled to be picked for being 'it' first, it reminds him of always being the one pointed out and removed from the group. So, I do the only thing a best friend can do and volunteer.

"I'll be it!" I raise my hand cheerfully, smiling as Maverick's face lightens at my offer. He nods and they all grin. Turning away from them, and walking toward the wall near the staircase, I hide my eyes behind my small hands and began counting, "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven..."

They bolt, their presence fading away from me as they scatter. It won't take long to find at least one of them, after all, I will be...cheating...I mean...yea...that's exactly what I mean. I giggle as my hands hide my eyes, continuing to count, "... fifty-four, fifty-five, fifty-six..."

Wow...one hundred is such a long way to count to.

"Tamsin? Sweetheart?" My father's voice sounds behind me and the hair on the back of my neck stands on end, uncovering my hands and whirling around to gaze up at his emerald eyes. I smile sweetly and tilt my head to the side, rubbing the back of my head as I laugh awkwardly.