Book 4⌇20. The Oath

Chapter 20 ∣  The Oath

-Killian

Five Years Prior

Kenzie and I hold our two-year-old daughter between us on the large bed, her shallow breathing has only brought nightmares for the two of us. She's been sick for over a year, her body fighting something even our blood can't cure. Inheriting my ability is breaking her body from the inside out, after all, only a vampire can truly grasp the power the shadows have to offer.

Tamsin...

"It's not fair..." Kenzie cries softly, her face burying in the crook of my neck, her warm tears sliding down to the top of my dark shirt.

Tamsin was born human.

No one knows how that is even possible. In all his years, Locaine has only heard of one other occurrence. The child was killed by the coven leader. Seen as weak and unknown whether it would have been possible to turn it, they decided to end its life.

Erebus was present at the child's death. Once again, fear always a driving factor and unsure of the child's future, it was agreed upon by every coven leader at the time, that this was the right thing to do. I never could wrap my head around how any of them saw that as justifiable.

It was a child.

"She's in so much pain," I run my fingers through her hair, "I can't stand watching her go through this. I can't do anything for her."

"I know," Kenzie breathes out, kissing me gently on the cheek when she pulls away.

There is a light knock on our bedroom door, Kenzie standing to her feet and walking over to open it. Tamsin cries out, her eyelids closed. For a brief second, I see the top layer of her skin become ever so slightly translucent. The vampiric ability trying to take hold of its host, regardless if she is a human.

I pull her into my lap, her small body raking with agony. Her head leaning against my chest, my tears falling from my eyes. She weighs nothing, as light as a feather, afraid I'll hurt her if I hug her just ever so tight.

"How's she doing?" It is Evie's voice that comes from the open doorway. My eyes lift, glancing from Kenzie and then to Evie, seeing her whitish-blue irises lock with my emerald ones. Evie is pregnant with her second child, a little girl, due any day, and a very young four-year-old Maverick trying to get a look inside the room. Evie hasn't changed at all during this pregnancy. She is still extremely strong and doesn't even act like she is carrying a child.

In fact, sometimes she knows about something before it happens. It is small things, but it isn't anything anyone can explain.

Maverick has only seen Tamsin on a rare occasion. We keep her away from the rest of the coven, afraid of what others will think of her. I know how people treat Maverick, and I don't want to hear the nasty things that will inevitably be spoken about her.

"She's very sick and her fever isn't going down," I whisper, feeling Tamsin shift in my arms, grabbing one of her small hands onto my shirt.

Evie's look is filled with pity, she knows how hard this is. She nods and says, "Maybe it's best if she gets some sleep. You both haven't fed in a while, please come down and take a small break."

She is right. We are starting to get agitated and we know Tamsin does need some sleep on her own in the quiet. Reluctantly, I lift her with me, pulling back the covers and slipping her between the sheets. She immediately turns on her side and wraps her small arms around her knees, bringing them close to her chest.