Book 4⌇34. Unstoppable

Chapter 34 ∣  Unstoppable

-Maverick

I glance down at the piece of paper that I hold between my fingers, the name and number scrawled on the surface. It is a contact the Gwyn knows in Washington, should I decide that I might need a place to stay while I am there.

Onyx

Apparently, that is his name. Veronica has known this vampire a long time ago, as they were once a part of the same coven. They had split off, and she took her daughter away from the new contract that had been signed. She doesn't care for hunters, about as much as I do, enforcing the laws. She likes to kill for fun, her power is limitless when it comes to vampires and hunters, able to evade them effectively.

She only kills humans when necessary, as she admires the ones who came searching for something more. Dark and seductive, we are toward humans, each giving in and wanting to be a part of something and live a life more than the normal mundane and average mortal.

The lights of the city are bright, my eyes looking down the main street as there are some cars whizzing by at high speeds. The night holds no rules I guess because I can't see one single cop.

A city.

A place that is filled with more people then I have been around since I can remember. It reeks of humans, but I figure that will be something I will have to get used to. I won't be stupid and kill everyone I see like so many believe I will, considering how I was raised, it amazes me that I am not hungry for revenge.

At least, not yet.

It was fun, a new feeling, killing that human boy, watching as the life in his eyes flickered out for good. His existence was nothing more on this world than a fleeting moment. He'd never understand what it means to be immortal and even I might not enjoy it as every other vampire does.

Forever cursed.

Forever on the run, knowing that people loathe and despise you.

Well, they better be happy now, they've made me into what I am today and I'm rather enjoying the darker side to killing. Whether it makes me feel slightly better about myself, seeing someone having a much harder time than I, but then they will have their escape. That's all death is and mine will eventually come in time, I just don't know when.

What was that?

Just ahead and to my right, I swear there was a child that ran from the main street and down into one of the alleyways. That's when I get a good view of two dark and brooding characters, following the child who had run away.

I know what that is like...

...to be afraid.

Of what?

Everything.

With my hands still in my trench coat pockets, I sigh, walking down the sidewalk, the cement beneath of my boot-clad feet still damp. It isn't snowing here, not in Washington, but the rain had come and gone near the sun's descent. Perhaps I should call this rogue, as I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to stay for the night.

I'll have to kil-

My thoughts trail off, nearing the opening of the alley that the child had run down, my eyes casting a glance that I probably shouldn't have. I more than likely should just ignore what is happening, after all, vampires feed off humans every day. If they didn't look like they have a glimmer in their eyes that wants to end this child's life, I might have continued my way, turning a blind eye.

What makes me stop, walking slowly down the alleyway and then halting, is the child taking a small stand for itself, bearing his fangs at the two older vampires.