Book 4⌇26. One Final Lesson

Chapter 26 ∣  One Final Lesson

-Maverick

"Why did you do that?" Tamsin asks, sitting down while steadying her breathing as I walk over to take a seat next to her. It is late in the night when I find myself waking, everything finally falling back into place from Tamsin's senses to her feelings.

I can tell they still hurt.

Silly girl, what were you even thinking?

Sitting down, I lean back on the palms of my hands as I reply, "I didn't want you getting in trouble. I'm already the bad guy, so why bother marring your perfect image to your parents? They've given up everything for me and the last thing I want to do is get them angry at you."

"Oh," she just breathes out and her gaze falls to the floor of the training room, picking at the rubber side of her boot.

"Tamsin?" I ask, shifting my weight and sitting cross-legged. I turn toward her, my eyes finding hers when she glances up, "Why did you even take a drink? You've never done anything like that before."

She glares at me and looks away, "Because...I'm always seen as the goodie-goodie and I wanted to try and be like you."

"You don't want to be like me," I sigh, "look where being me has ended up? No one cares about me or loves me truly. I'm just going to end up getting killed sooner or later being on my own. It's just a matter of time and for once, I felt like I fit in somewhere."

Her temper flares, standing to her feet and clenching her hands into fists. Her arms shake as she cries out, "I care about you!" Tears spring to her eyes as she looks down at me, my heart stopping in my chest when she declares, "I love you!"

She...what...?

"Tamsin, I-"

"Just...Just leave me alone!" The tears slide down her cheeks as she folds her arms across her chest, walking toward the center of the room. Away from me, each step she takes, I can feel the pain she must have felt watching me while I was with Gwyn.

I stand to my feet, following her as I say softly, "Look, Tam-"

"Leave me alone!" She whirls around.

"No!" I growl back at her, her eyes narrowing at me, "You're hurt. I hurt you and I'm sorry. I didn't know how you felt about me...but we can't be together. You know that..."

"Shut up," she tries to brush the tears away with the back of her hand, sniffling as she turns her back on me again, "I know that, so just leave me alone!"

Quickly moving around her, I place my palms against the back of her hands, bringing them away from her face. She tries to pull away, but I won't let her, saying, "You have to understand, there is no future with me, and your parents wouldn't even allow it if you really did end up being my beloved. Never. So please just-"

Tamsin breathes out, her body dematerializing from my grasp. Shaking my head, I speak aloud, "Fight me Tamsin, just get your anger out because I can't live with you having this resentment toward me."

I almost regret my words as they leave my lips, the air also leaving my lungs when I feel a very hard impact between my shoulder blades. Being knocked to the ground, I roll forward and onto my knees, turning to see Tamsin breathing heavily, his muscles tense. She runs four steps before jumping in the air and kicking me with the heel of her boot across my face. I taste blood in my mouth, some dripping from the corner of my lips and landing on the floor.

I bring my eyes back to hers, but she just hooks me with her fist, hearing bones in my cheek shatter, trying not to let my head whip too much from the impact. Grabbing the front of my shirt, she lifts me over her head and throws me against the wall. After my shoulder braces the full impact, I slowly stand to my feet, my mind pushing away everything and understanding her anger.