∞ 17

Chapter Song: If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys

Everything means nothing,
if I ain't got you

-

Julian was quiet during the dinner with her parents. I was pretty sure she was upset with me. She kind of had every right to be. I'll admit it. I'm beyond spoiled not only by Julian, but by my parents as well. I'm so used to having it my way that sometimes when I don't, I get a bit upset. It was one of my downfalls. I hated being b-tchy towards Julian because she didn't deserve it. She was the best girlfriend that anyone could ever have. The last thing I needed to do was push her away with my spoiled ways.

During dinner, it was basically just me talking to Julian's parents. They were asking me questions about my future career goals. When I told them I wanted to be an actress, I could tell they were a bit thrown off. My own parents knew that acting, dancing and singing were my passions, but every time I brought up my major or my intended future career, they'd cringe as well. I knew that becoming famous and known in Hollywood was a long shot that only very lucky and talented stars were granted. I just hoped that one of those stars would be me in the future.

That night, Julian and I laid down in bed without saying a word to each other. It was quiet and awkward, and all I could hear were the crickets outside. I took a deep breath, and turned to my opposite side so I was facing her. She looked at me blankly as the moonlight shone on her perfectly. "I'm sorry," I told her after a few seconds of just staring at her. "I totally understand you not wanting to get caught by your parents. I respect that and I was just being a spoiled brat."

She smiled softly. "I'm going to have to stop spoiling you so much then, burrito," she told me quietly. I smiled and gave her a quick kiss on the lips which she returned. Her eyes looked as if they were getting heavy and I knew she was exhausted. Today was kind of a huge day. Her parents didn't know about us, and it was kind of hard not to hold Julian's hand or to show her some type of affection in front of them.

"Someone's sleepy," I told her as she closed her eyes. She mumbled something to me but I didn't quite catch it. Julian fell asleep almost instantly and I smiled at how peaceful she looked. I turned to my side and scooted as far away from her as I could, just in case her parents walked in to check on us. To my surprise when I scooted away, a strong arm pulled me towards them. A pair of lips kissed my shoulders.

"Goodnight, baby burrito," she cooed cutely.

"Goodnight, J."

Breakfast with the Wangs was like something you would see on a sitcom. Julian's mother and father were so perfect with their routine. They woke us up with a subtle knock and told us to get ready, and by the time that we did, Lim had breakfast sprawled out on the kitchen table. Glasses were filled with orange juice, and the plates were decorated with eggs, toast, bacon, sausage and pancakes. It was organized on the plate as if a chef had made it. When Julian and I walked into the kitchen, Lim and Tao both had their seats at the table. Tao was reading the newspaper with his legs crossed. As he peered beneath his glasses, he stopped every other moment to eat something off of his plate.

Tao was dressed in a factory worker outfit which made me assume that he had to go to work on this beautiful Saturday. It was kind of sad. I couldn't see myself working a nine-to-five, even though most Americans did it. A job that you continuously do the same thing over and over again just wasn't my thing. If I didn't make it big then I wasn't sure what I'd do. My career options were slim since I was so picky.

"Look who finally chose to join us," Lim said with a bright smile. Normally on Saturdays, I got up in the PM. Currently, it was 9 AM. I was still tired, but Lim and Tao and even Julian were normal and up as if they were fully rested. Being an early riser must've ran in the family or something. "You girls eat, especially you, Julian! You have to be big and strong for basketball season!"