Chapter 69

Nandini waited a few steps behind Rajiv as he stepped up to Prithvi’s grandfather. She was feeling oddly serene considering that she was probably going to get abused by the elderly man, and later, murdered by his grandson. She didn’t know why she was taking such a big risk. Such decisions should have been easy, but nothing seemed to be writ in black and white anymore.

As Rajiv bent and conveyed a murmured message, the old man looked up sharply and met her gaze. In an instant, the impression of grief and loneliness vanished.

Nandini suddenly saw the vicious, brutal man who had tortured an innocent child.

Rajiv witnessed pure derision twisting Rajyavardhan Singh’s ragged features. “I know who she is. Nandini….Who else could it be?” the king growled loudly enough to attract a few stares from passing people. “No decent woman would hover so shamelessly around my grandson. And she’s only helping because she hopes to get into my good books and snare Prithvi for certain,” he sneered.

Rajiv gaped at him in dismay. Then collecting himself, he cleared his throat and turned to Nandini, muttering, “This is His Maj - Rajyavardhan Singh. He is  -”

“I know who he is,” she said lightly, gazing down at the scornful man on the chair. “I would have known even if you hadn’t told me beforehand. No one else could be so insufferable. And since he’s very interested in my relationship with Prithvi, I want him to know that I’m going to stand by Prithvi’s side for as long as his grandson wants me to. Because I love him.”

Taken aback, Rajiv stared at her open mouthed. On the chair near him, Rajyavardhan had frozen. Then he slowly rose to his feet, and his lips parted in an ugly grimace. “You worthless -”

Unfazed, Nandini tautly said, “Don’t delude yourself about my motives. I was acting out of pity. Pity that you don’t deserve. You don’t deserve to meet Prithvi either. Not until you learn to think, feel and behave like a human being,” she said frostily, and turned to walk towards the elevators.

“I want to see him.”

It was a command, but the gruff voice had wavered, making it sound like a wretched entreaty.

Nandini halted and spun. Rajyavardhan Singh was staring doggedly at the opposite wall. She curtly said, “If I manage to convince them, I’ll come back and take you upstairs. I’m not going to try very hard,” she admitted indifferently. “So don’t bother waiting for more than five minutes.”

************************

Striding out of the room, Sumer Singh scanned one end of the corridor urgently. He swung to inspect the other side and saw Nandini walking towards him. Absorbed in grave thoughts himself, he didn’t register her anxious features.

“Nandini, could you sit with Prithvi for a while? Don’t worry - he dropped off to sleep a short while back. He didn’t sleep much last night or today, and the medicines are way too strong. I think he’s not going to awaken for some hours. The college principal sent me a message, asking if he could speak to me about an important issue. I know this is about Dhiren,” Sumer Singh stated grimly. “I want to have the discussion in private, so I’ll be in the alcove at that end of the corridor. Call me if any problem arises.”