Chapter 76

Nandini looked at the grimly set face that was concentrating on applying a little medicinal plaster on the cleaned up wound on her wrist.

Prithvi hadn’t spoken a word after that frightful moment in his room. And neither had she.

She hadn’t been able to speak or tend to him. Though both their hands had stopped bleeding quickly once the pressure lifted, the sight of his blood had resurrected a bevy of nightmarish memories that she was still struggling to deal with.

While she was staring at his injury in panic, he’d gently grasped her other hand and led her out of the room. Feeling cold and ill, she had followed without thinking.

He had taken her to the gleaming sink fixed in an enclave outside the bathroom. There, he’d swiftly washed away the blood from his palm with a roughness that made her wince. After that, he hadn’t given his wound another glance.

Taking her unsteady hand, he had held it under the stream of water, tenderly cleaning her wrist.

The break in her skin was very small externally. She had mumbled that it didn’t need antiseptic or a band-aid on witnessing him taking the items from a functional unit fixed on the wall above the sink.  He had ignored her completely and used both.

He was replacing the items in the case now.

Uncertainly, she mumbled, “What about your hand? It’s hurt worse than - ”

“It’s fine,” he said tersely, closing the unit. “You should go. Your family must be waiting.”

She lingered uneasily. “Are you coming to the wedding?”

“No.” he said curtly.

The reply didn’t surprise her. But though she didn’t want to force him to attend the wedding, she also couldn’t endure the thought of him sitting alone and brooding over unpleasant thoughts.

Sankatmochan’s whisper slithered up the stairs. “Nandini, I think I heard your mother calling for you.”

She paid no attention to the warning and gazed at Prithvi. “It’ll be nice if you attend,” she said softly.

And before inborn shyness and timidity could dissuade her, she walked up to him.  Keeping a hand on his shoulder, she rose on her toes and kissed his cheek lightly.

Her heart was pounding as she withdrew and met his startled gaze.  Blushing uncontrollably, she turned and fled.

***************************

Restraining the folds of her lehenga and dupatta, Nandini gingerly kneeled down on the floor in her room to peer into the dusty darkness underneath the bed. In between a suitcase and a small bag, she could see the outline of a reproachful pitchfork. She pulled out the soft toy from its gloomy dungeon and stood up slowly. In the bright light, she looked remorsefully at the kitten’s sweet face and softly dusted away tiny bits of grime on the toy.