Chapter 74

• Dedicated to Sara W

Anika cast a nervous glance around the corridor as she pushed open the doors to the empty bedroom.

The fat man was sleeping downstairs, and the other men had gone to the terrace for some fresh air. No one had asked if she wanted to accompany them. But it meant she had free rein of the house. Of Prithvi’s room.

Repressing the humiliating memory of the last time she’d made a similar excursion, Anika entered the room, gripped with the need to spend a little time in his private space, in the midst of things that had known his touch.

Anika gazed fervently at each item in the room as she walked to the bed. She didn’t dare spend more than ten minutes here. If she was caught, there would be hell to pay despite Prithvi’s improved humour after the strange incident in the living room. She still couldn’t believe his amused lenience with that girl. He had scalped people for much less. And Nandini wasn’t even half as beautiful or smart as the girls who’d hit on him in the past.

It was simply an infatuation that was not going to last for long, she told herself passionately as she caressed the pillow. It probably wouldn’t even last for another week, which was the duration she planned to stay here, Anika decided as she sat down on the mattress. Rohit had to be insane to think he could force her to leave tomorrow morning. She knew she shouldn’t have kissed Prithvi. She’d just gotten carried away with the happiness and excitement of seeing him after a long gap. She wouldn’t make that mistake again. Not until he returned her feelings.

For some moments, Anika luxuriated in the feeling of sitting on the bed on which Prithvi slept. Her gaze skimmed over an old photo on the table and landed on the cupboard. She stood up and walked over to it.

Opening the dark wooden doors, she studied the contents, and then ran her fingers along the row of shirts hung neatly. Some shirts were arranged in a pile. In the adjoining section, many journals were stacked tidily. Anika reached out for a large one and began going through it eagerly.

The writing was extremely sharp and clear, but the calculations, academic notations and software programmes went above her head. She was about to replace the book when a page inadvertently flipped over.

Anika froze.

**********************************

Rohit strolled leisurely along the length of the terrace, enjoying the stillness. “There’s something really peaceful and comforting about this place,” he said appreciatively.

Seated casually on the low wall of the terrace, Prithvi retorted, “Don’t be fooled. Most things in this town are deceptive in appearance.”

“You’re talking about that girl, aren’t you?” Rohit asked shrewdly. The alarm on Prithvi’s face when he’d realised that girl had seen Anika kissing him had been the first sign. And the incident shared by a hyper Anika had confirmed his suspicions. And made him laugh. Prithvi had been the heartthrob of the thriving campus, his unflinching focus on academics, sports and social work attracting girls in droves. None of them had managed to win anything more than embarrassment despite their looks and earnest efforts. And now he seemed to have met his match in this sleepy town.