Shocking News

Over the next week, Lily became extremely restless. Staying in one place all day and night was not something that she was used to doing. While she had quit her job (she was a Healer) shortly after Harry was born, he had at least kept her busy.

But everyday James would bring Harry, usually accompanied by Sirius or Remus. She and James had decided to move into James' childhood home - James's parent's had left it to him in their will.

While James and Harry were living there now, she would join them as soon as she was released.It was the night before Lily was to be released. James leaning back in his chair, next to Lily's bed, fast asleep. Not that Lily could blame him - it was nearly one in the morning. Harry was fast asleep in her arms, yet she was wide awake. She had always had trouble sleeping in the hospital beds - they weren't nearly as comfortable as the king sized bed that she , Harry and James shared.

She was thinking about trying to go back to sleep when she heard multiple people in the corridor, talking in urgent voices and what sounded like to stretchers being pushed.

Then Emmeline quietly came into the room as James woke up.

"What's going on?" Lily asked.

"I really shouldn't say anything - you know as well as I do that Healers can't give their patients information about their other patients...But as an Order member, I'm going to tell you. Besides, its better that you hear it from me rather than read it in the paper tomorrow...Frank and Alice Longbottom were attacked."

"You're kidding!" James exclaimed.

"Was it the Death Eaters?"Lily asked, just as shocked.

"Yeah...Bellatrix Lestrange, her husband Rodolphus, his brother Rabastan, and Barty Crouch, Jr."

"Hold on," said James,throwing his arms in the air as if in surrender.

"Crouch's son?"

"One in the same," she said solemnly.

"Frank was suppose to stop by the Ministry tonight, but when he never showed up, a few Aurors went to his house. They found the Death Eaters torturing Frank and Alice with the Cruciatus Curse."Lily's hand flew to her gaping mouth as James asked,

"Are they going to be okay?"Emmeline looked away from James and Lily and looked at the foot of Lily's bed instead.

"Physically, they'll be fine...but mentally?...It's not looking good...they may never leave..."Tears leaked from Lily's eyes as she glanced down at her sleeping son.

Ever since Dumbledore had told them that Voldemort had chosen Harry for the phrophecy, she couldn't help but be jealous of Frank and Alice...But what would have happened if their son would have been targeted instead of Harry? Would it be her and James that had been driven mad by Death Eaters?

"What about their son, Neville?" Lily asked.

"He's fine," said Emmeline as wiped her own eyes.

"One of the Aurors was saying that it looks like Alice put a Silencing Charm around Neville's room about the same time the Death Eater's showed up so they would find him. I think he'll be living with Frank's mother, now..."

"Thanks for the head's up, Em," Lily said tonelessly.

Emmeline nodded and said, "You really need to get some rest, Lily," before leaving the ward.

But Lily continued to stare at the wall, thinking.

"You know, she's right...you do need to rest," said James as he sat on the edge of her bed.

"Are you going home?"

"Yeah, I'd better get him to bed," he said as he lifted Harry into his arms.

"I'll see you in a few hours?""Yeah,"James leaned closer and lightly kissed Lily.

She watched him walk to the end of the ward before he paused and turned around.

"Try not to think too much about Frank and Alice...you need your rest,"She nodded and gave him a weak smile before he left.

By nine o'clock the next morning, Lily was dressed and ready to get the hell out of St. Mungo's. She was signing all of her discharge papers at the front desk.

"So how are we getting home?" Lily asked as she put her signature on the final paper.

"The Ministry has loaned us a car; its right outside. Harry, Sirius, and Remus are already there."She nodded as she gave the parchment to the witch at the desk.

Together they walked into the London street. But as soon as they appeared, Lily was nearly blinded. Instinctively, she covered her eyes and blinks furiously as James put his arm around her and attempted to steer them through the crowd.

Damn reporters, James thought.The gathered reporters started yelling questions as the couple tried to leave.

"Lily, James! Where is Harry!"

"How did Harry survive!"

"Did your son kill You-Know-Who!?"They ignored them as they nearly fought there way through. Finally, they saw their car. James opened the door as Lily slid in. She immediately saw Remus holding Harry.

"Mummy!" he called as Remus passed Harry to his mother. Soon, James nearly dove into the car and slammed the door shut.

"They are bloody vicious," he said as the driver pulled away.

"How did they know I was being released today?"

"It was in the Prophet a few days ago," said Sirius.

The rest of the ride went by easily, and even though James and Lily's home was no where near London, it took very little time to get there. Before they knew it, the Ministry car was pulling into the familiar country road to the Potter Manor.

The driver pulled up to the house as they all clamored out. Even though Lily at always felt welcome when this house had belonged to James's parents, she felt slightly intimidated as she walked through the front door.

Once they were all inside, James, Lily, Harry, Sirius, and Remus all headed into the living room. James lit a fire in the enormous grate as Remus conjured butterbeer - for the adults, anyway. They spent the rest of the evening reminiscing about the war that was finally over, and thankful for a future that they now had.