Chapter 4* Room 214

Cheryl debated with herself whether she should take the elevator or  not

Cheryl debated with herself whether she should take the elevator or not. She was on the 26th floor which meant it would be a long way down if she took the stairs. She pointed her finger at the elevator button and hesitated. She took the elevator to work this morning but she was in a hurry and a lot of people accompanied her then. But now, she was alone and she really did not want to have last night's terrifying experience all over again. When she was still hesitating, the elevator opened with a ding. Cheryl jumped in and hoped for the best.

The elevator descended as usual with mellow music playing in the background. Just when Cheryl began to relax, the music stopped and the elevator dropped rapidly. Cheryl saw the floor number on the screen going down like crazy!

"OH NO~ not again!" Cheryl exclaimed. She put her hands over her ears and squatted to brace for impact but the speed of the elevator slowed down and came to a gradual stop. Cheryl heard a ding and the doors opened.

"Hi, you must be Cheryl!" Cheryl heard a warm voice coming from a brightly lit room. She squinted her eyes and saw a petite middle-aged woman wearing a vintage violet polka dot dress with a wide white belt. She had a pair of glasses with chains on her round, plump face framed by neatly permed greyish white hair.

"And you are....?" Cheryl asked.

"I'm Mrs Fields. Welcome to Valentine!" Mrs Fields said with a big warm smile.

"Valentine? What is this place?"

"This is Room 214 of heaven - Valentine, the office of Mr Cupid! It's the place where every love relationship is meticulously planned, executed and monitored."

"What!?" Cheryl gasped. She looked around and found herself in an office that was decorated in the 60s style. Everything was either white, silver or baby pink. The walls were covered with white wallpaper with silvery intertwined branches designs, and you could find a little pink heart at the end of each branch. The floor was covered with luscious pink carpet, it felt like marshmallow when you stepped on it. There were rows and rows of white desks with old computers on them, and people wearing white outfits and white hair were sitting behind each of them.

"Why am I in the office of Cupid?" Cheryl was baffled, still taking in the amazing sight.

"After careful consideration, Mr Cupid has decided to let you manage a few love relationships of humans." Mrs Fields replied excitedly.

"But why? "

"That beats me! He has never done this before and you are the first human who is even allowed to come here." Mrs Fields frowned. "But I'm sure there's a reason why he did this. Everything Mr Cupid does has a reason!" A genuine smile returned to her face.

"Well, thank you very much but I have a job and real work to do!" Cheryl turned around for the elevator but it had disappeared. "Where did the elevator go?" Cheryl squeaked.

"Unfortunately, you are not allowed to go back to your world until you have finished your work here." Mrs Fields announced with sympathy.

"But what about my job, my friends and family? They would be worried about me if I suddenly disappeared!"

"Don't worry~ they are all well taken care of. Your manager was notified that you have a sudden medical emergency, and as for your friends and family, you had to go on a sudden business trip."

"What? How could you? This is MY life! Besides, I'm the last person you'd want to manage love relationships! I can't even hold a guy for 6 months! This is insane!" Cheryl fumed.

Mrs Fields was taken aback by Cheryl's outburst, a hurtful expression appeared on her face. Cheryl immediately calmed down a notch and said, "I'm sorry... I mean Cupid! That egotistical pig! First, he messed up my love life again and again, then now he's decided to mess up my whole life!? Who does he think he is?" Cheryl said with a fist.

Mrs Fields' eyes were filled with compassion. "Though I don't know why Mr Cupid did this, I'm sure he has his reasons. He may seem like a tough cookie sometimes, but deep down he is a marshmallow. He never does anything without good intentions!"

"Marshmallow?? I'd never associate him with that! He's just an arrogant jerk who's probably hiding somewhere and enjoy seeing me in torture!"

"Oh no~ you'll see what I mean, time will tell!" Mrs Fields said with a wink. "So let's begin our journey, shall we?"

"What journey?"

"The journey to your office where you'll learn all about how to manage love relationships."

"I have my own office?" Cheryl beamed with excitement in her eyes.

"Well, it's just a temporary small room for you to do your 'love' work!" Mrs Fields chuckled.

Cheryl was excited. She never had her own room in office as she had always worked in a tiny cubicle like the rest of her colleagues. It was uncomfortable and claustrophobic to say the least. Only the top management got their own rooms and she was just a small potato in her company.

Mrs Fields snapped her fingers and a pair of elevator doors suddenly appeared. A ding sounded and the doors opened. "Let's get in!" Mrs Fields said in a cheerful voice.

Cheryl panicked, "This is not gonna be another frightening experience like I had the last 2 times, is it?"

"Oh no~ silly head! I'm sorry you had to go through those dreadful experiences. It's just, you see, when you cross over from the human world to our world, the space and time are distorted, and that's why you experienced the sudden speed change."

"I see, so this elevator will not speed up suddenly?"

"No, but it's certainly a marvellous experience to ride on it!" Mrs Fields winked again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: So this is Chapter 4 and it's longer than the previous ones, and you got to meet Mrs Fields! lol Hope you like it and don't forget to vote and comment! Thanks~