Chapter 20* Dilemma

Thank you for checking out my newest chapter! But first, I need to tell those awesome readers who read my last chapter within the first 30 minutes after it's posted that I made a small change: the prize Mrs Fields offered to Cheryl was changed into a brooch! You can go back and see the photo. Sorry I've made the change but I think it's much more fitting and the brooch is gorgeous, don't you think?

Okay, let's see what happens next...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I AM MAJORLY SCREWED!"

Cheryl's hair was a total mess because of her fingers running through it many times, and her face was covered with smeared chocolate and cookie crumbs. She finished all the cookies Mrs Fields had baked for her but she was still unable to reach a decision.

"On one hand, it'd be so exciting if I could become the first agent appointed from heaven to help creating perfect love matches on Earth! Just imagine how much joy and happiness I could bring to others is exhilarating!" Cheryl squealed with joy.

"But on the other hand, I really don't wanna miss out finding the love of my life!" she huffed with frustration. "It's my ultimate dream to find my Mr Right since I could remember!" Cheryl buried her face in her plate with chocolate and cookie crumbs. "What should I decide? I don't know what to do!"

"Need some help?" A deep male voice which Cheryl could recognize from a mile away said. She turned her head to find the abominable man standing by her kitchen door.

"What are you doing here? I don't need your help!" Cheryl snarled at the man for his unwanted appearance.

"Is it a new fashion trend to have your hair set up as a bird nest and have chocolate painted all over your face?" Cupid remarked in a teasing tone while pointing at the mess sitting atop of Cheryl's head.

Cheryl's face instantly burnt hot with fury. If there's gasoline on her head, the bird nest on top of her head would be set on fire.

"Perhaps I shouldn't have said that." Cupid concealed his smile with his white slender fingers. "Actually, I've come to apologize."

Apologize? That's the last thing I expect from him!

"I'm equally surprised by myself too. Although it rarely happens, I must admit my mistake when I made one."

Still couldn't help being arrogant no matter what, could he?

"I'm afraid this character trademark goes with me everywhere." Cupid announced with a crooked smile on his annoyingly perfect face. "Anyway, I've reinstated Peyton as my protege and allowed further research into the love program to see if it could really benefit in creating stable love relationships. I'm still skeptical about using algorithms and equations in love relationships but you've proven it could work with appropriate help and guidance, and I must commend you for it."

"And that's why I've decided to recruit your help." Cupid opened his palm and the diamond brooch suddenly appeared levitating in the air. "If you accept this brooch, you'll be responsible for helping us to guide people to the right path of love after we made the matches, just like what you did for your Aunt Dora and Ashley. Since none of us from heaven could directly intervene in the human world, your help would be crucial for the computer program to work effectively. So I sincerely wish you would consider accepting this proposal." Cheryl could hear sincerity in his voice.

"I'd love to but why am I not allowed to fall in love if I accept this?" Cheryl asked the burning question that had been lying at the tip of her tongue.

"Because it would be unethical and could create huge risks. If you agree to help us, you'd get access to a lot of personal information, and I could not afford you to jeopardize a love relationship just because you get attached with a subject. That's why this brooch comes with a spell: once you accept it, you will not attract nor feel attracted by another man again. Do you understand?"

Cheryl sadly nodded with her head hung low.

"Look, I'm terribly sorry to put you in this dilemma. I know it'd be a big sacrifice for you if you choose to accept this, but your help would be greatly appreciated and I promise there'll be ample compensation." Cheryl saw gentleness in Cupid's eyes which was never there before.

"I'll still need some time to think about this." Cheryl said in a quiet voice.

"Of course. I'll leave the brooch with you for now. If you decide to accept it, just pin it on your chest. If you decide to decline, it'll disappear by itself." The beautiful diamond brooch flew to Cheryl's opened hands as she nodded. Cupid gave a curt smile and disappeared with the snap of his fingers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for the wonderful response I got from last chapter. It's interesting to see some of your speculation. So now we know why Cheryl can't fall in love if she decides to help. What would she do now? Tell me your thoughts! Don't forget to vote~