Chapter 19* The Prize

No words could describe how happy Cheryl was feeling! She had successfully saved all of her matches and prevented her dear friends from suffering heartbreaks and loneliness

No words could describe how happy Cheryl was feeling! She had successfully saved all of her matches and prevented her dear friends from suffering heartbreaks and loneliness. The excited bubbling feeling was unleashed inside of her like a cork being popped out of a bottle of champagne! She had never felt anything as amazing as this before.

When she opened the door to her apartment, she noticed a distinct sweet homey scent coming from her kitchen. Just when she was wondering who broke into her home and used her oven, a familiar warm face appeared.

"Mrs Fields!" Cheryl screamed with joy and rushed to hug the sweet old woman. "What a lovely surprise to see you! And you used my oven? I've always meant to bake something with it but it has been sitting there in dust for years!"

"Oh, no worries! I used a spell to clean it before I used it to bake your favorite cookies! It's a waste to see such fine equipment never been used! So I've baked a variety of flavors for you to try. Cookies need love and time like everything does, and no spells can ever replace that!"

"But I'm guessing you didn't come here just to bake cookies for me." Cheryl said with a puzzled look.

"You're right! But first of all, I want to congratulate you, my dear! You have actually done it! I'm so proud of you! I knew Peyton's love program would work and I had a feeling that you'd be the one to prove it!"

"Really?" Cheryl's eyes widened.

"Yes, and that's where I have a little confession to make." Mrs Fields bit her lip and gave a weary smile. "I'm actually the one who put the floppy disk into the books I gave you and hoped you'd open it."

Cheryl gasped with her mouth shaping like a large 'O'.

"I'm really sorry if you feel deceived. I just felt terribly sorry for Peyton who is not allowed to do anything involved with love ever since Mr Cupid found the program. She's been literally banished from love! That child had the most angelic smile before but I never saw that smile after that." Mrs Fields sighed deeply with a frown. "After I met you, your strong sense of curiosity and that pure heart of yours reminded me so much of Peyton and I knew you would prove the program's worth somehow, so I slipped the floppy disk into the books and hope you'd do it justice." Mrs Fields explained. "I hope you'd forgive me, my dear, but that's the only way to let you discover the program without Mr Cupid firing me."

Cheryl was shocked to learn the truth but then she felt sympathetic for Mrs Fields whose eyes were filled with remorse. "It's ok. You didn't trick me into doing anything I wouldn't do. I saw the floppy disk and chose to open it and stood by the program myself, and you only did it in hopes of helping someone, so I forgive you." Cheryl gave a warm smile.

"Thank you for your understanding, Cheryl!" Mrs Fields looked instantly relieved and gave Cheryl a tight hug. "And I've got a prize for you."

"The cookies! Oh, they smell delicious! Are they ready to be taken out yet?" Cheryl's mouth was watering.

"Just a few more minutes. But no, that's not the prize I meant. There's more." A mysterious cheeky smile appeared on Mrs Fields' face.

"More? What more?"

"This!" Mrs Fields slipped her hand into her pocket and fished out a delicate silver brooch. It contained two interconnected hearts that were embedded with diamonds.

 It contained two interconnected hearts that were embedded with diamonds

"Wow, this brooch looks gorgeous!" Cheryl's fingers reached out in awe.

"This is no ordinary brooch. Mr Cupid is very impressed by what you've accomplished and therefore wishes to present you with a job opportunity. If you accept this brooch, you'll become our very first special agent on Earth, and you'll help us build love relationships for life, but under one condition: you may never fall in love with another human again. So please don't make your decision unless you've carefully thought it through."

Cheryl's fingers immediately withdrew from the beautiful brooch as if she was burnt. She was speechless about this lifetime opportunity lying before her, and had no idea what to decide.

"You do not need to decide it now, my child. Just call my name when you're ready. Remember there's no right or wrong in whatever choice you decide to make. Listen to your heart and you'll make the right choice. Enjoy your cookies!" Mrs Fields gave a light kiss on Cheryl's cheek and disappeared in a poof of smoke. A ding was sounded from her oven signaling the cookies were finally ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay~another chapter is out! I'm dedicating this chapter to MaryFahey who's been a great supporter and was kind enough to read and comment every single chapter of my story even with my unreliable updates! Moreover, she completely embodies the spirit and appearance of Mrs Fields! (She's a really helpful Wattpad ambassador so go check out her page and stories!) And I also thank all of you who continue to read and support my story! Don't forget to vote and comment!