Chapter 7* The First Match

"How rude he is to just disappear before I even finished my sentence!" Cheryl yelled with frustration, her fist hitting the desk.

Mrs Fields let out a deep breath and slid into the chair with relief, fanning her face. "Oh, I'm just so glad Mr Cupid didn't lose his temper!"

"You call that behavior a while ago not losing his temper?" Cheryl asked in disbelief.

"Oh no, that's nothing! You do not wanna see when he's furious!" Mrs Fields shook her head with a faint smile.

"Well, that just proves I'm right about him being an arrogant jerk!" Cheryl spat bitterly, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"It's true Mr Cupid has a terrible temper but... he only loses it when something really serious happens. Deep down he's actually a gentleman with a good heart!"

"How can you still defend him after the way he treated you?"

"Because I've worked for him long enough to know him very well," Mrs Fields said proudly with a knowing look. "Now, let's get to work, shall we? I've never used Peyton's program before so I'm not sure how it works...."

"Oh, no worries! I've already gone through the instruction manual and it's very easy to use. Now, we just need to find someone and try to match them." Cheryl tapped her fingers on her lips contemplating. "Oh, I know! We should match my good friend, Ashley! She's been dating for as long as I have and she's been dreaming of finding the right man for ages! She is such a sweet girl! Now, I can use this program to find her the perfect match!" Cheryl said ecstatically with a large grin on her face.

"That's great! Let's do it!" Mrs Fields clapped her hands excitedly. It was obvious she was curious to see how this program worked.

Cheryl's fingers flew across the keyboard and found Ashley's profile in a flash. She hit the "Match" button and the program started searching through its database calculating for a match. In just a few minutes, the program found several men who had the highest probability to be Ashley's match. A percentage is shown on each candidate's profile indicating their chance of compatibility.

Mrs Fields looked deeply impressed and said, "Wow~ that's very quick and convenient! Usually, it takes us months to evaluate each person and then weeks or even months to find a match for a person." Cheryl gloated proudly, she knew this program was a work of genius!

"Let's match Ashley with the guy with the highest percentage." Cheryl pointed at the man at the top of the screen. Mrs Fields nodded in agreement. "So how should we let them meet?"

Mrs Fields fished out a PDA from her pocket and pulled out the pen attached to the side. "I'll notify the cherubs to get to work!" She tapped and swiped on the screen with the pen a few times. Cheryl heard a tone and Mrs Fields said, "It's done! Now, the cherubs will travel to the human world and work their magic." Mrs Fields announced with a huge grin.

"Can we see how they work?" Cheryl was desperate to see how the cherubs work to bring her good friend, Ashley, together with her Mr Right. She could not believe she would be the one to change Ashley's life and bring her lifelong happiness.

"Of course!" Mrs Fields snapped her fingers and a giant transparent orb suddenly appeared mid-air. Cheryl could see the planet Earth projected onto the orb. Mrs Fields then used her fingers to swipe and navigate on the orb till they saw the town where Ashley was living.

"Wow~ this is amazing! " Cheryl watched in total awe with her mouth dropped open. Mrs Fields smiled and continued searching through the orb until the figure of Ashley appeared.

"That's Ashley! Oh my god~ I haven't seen her for years. Her hair has grown long." Cheryl pointed at the figure and Mrs Fields continued to use her fingers to magnify the image until they could see Ashley clearly. She had brown curly hair flowing down her shoulders, and she was wearing a navy blue skirt suit with black heels. It appeared she had just left from work and was walking towards the subway station. Ashley and Cheryl were high school best friends but they went to different colleges and settled in different cities, so they rarely saw each other but kept in touch through messages and phone calls. Like Cheryl, Ashley had dated a lot of men but had a hard time holding onto them. They often discussed their love problems and poured their hearts out to each other whenever they got hurt.

"So when will the cherubs make them meet?" Cheryl asked fidgeting, she could hardly keep herself in the seat.

"Be patient, my child," Mrs Fields hushed. Cheryl bit her lips and tried her best to sit still. They saw Ashley entered the subway station and waited at the platform which was packed with people since it was rush hour. The train arrived and people started to file in, including Ashley. Out of the blue, a baby angel with white wings and pink plump cheeks appeared not far from Ashley.

"Is that a cherub?" Cheryl pointed at the angel curiously.

"Yes, that's Cody, the cherub that's been assigned to launch this relationship." Mrs Fields nodded. "But humans cannot see him. You can only see him because we are looking through the Amour."

"Amour?" Cheryl asked puzzled.

"This large orb that allows us to see what happens on Earth." Mrs Fields replied.

"I see." Cheryl gaze travelled back to the orb and saw Cody's face broke into a mischievous smile. He pushed the man next to Ashley, causing him to lose his balance and bumped into Ashley. Surprised by the sudden jolt, Ashley tripped over her heels and started to fall. Cheryl gasped in horror while watching her friend falling with her face slamming onto the floor. But just inches before she hit the floor, a pair of strong arms grasped onto Ashley's shoulders steadying her. Yes, he was the same man who the program predicted with the highest probability to be Ashley's match, Logan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The photo on top is an idea of how the Amour looks like. It's pretty awesome, isn't it?

A/N: Sorry it's been a long time since I've posted the last chapter. I've just started editing for other users on Wattpad! Since I was a little kid, I was bothered by typos found in textbooks or printed matter, and I've always wanted to correct it. Guess that makes me a perfectionist! lol So, I'm glad I'm finally putting my strength into use and helping other people. But I found that it's not easy to edit other people's work as their style may be very different from my own. But I'm trying my best and I felt such a sense of accomplishment after I've helped each person. I actually learnt things from them and improved my writing. Hope you've enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote, comment and add it into your library if you still haven't!