Six

Frank P.O.V

My back was sore from the stone mattress, I groaned as the door opened.

"Good morning. I have your meds." A young, blonde-haired nurse said, emerging from behind the door, a rusted metal tray in her hands. On it were two small cups, one filled with more pills than the other.
"Right's yours," she nodded at Sam, he scrambled over, "Left's yours." She looked over at me, biting her lip. She was trying to be seductive; I wasn't buying it. There was less appeal to me in her, than meat for a vegetarian.

"Thanks." I mumbled, dragging myself to the edge of the bed. She winked at me, lingering behind when her job was clearly done.

"So you're new, huh?" She leant in the doorway, hands on her hips. Her teeth still had a firm grasp of her bottom lip, I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"Yes." I answered simply, shaking the cup gently. The pills bashing into each other. It was me who was the craziest of the three people in the room, judging by the six pills in my cup.

"Well, if you uh, need anything, I'm just down the hall." Winking again, she left the room, quietly closing the door. Sam started to chuckle, I tipped the pills into my mouth with one hand, flipping him off with the other.
~>•<~

I felt slightly dizzy, but that was nothing that could stop me from behind forced to attend a chapel service. The only reason why the chapel was there in the first place, was that some of the families of the patients here thought that they were possessed. Looking at some of them, I could understand why that was a thought. Even looking at myself. The minister spent most of his time giving me an awkward smile, he knew that I was a new arrival.
After the service, he pulled me to one side.
"Hello, I'm Jacob. I'm the minister here, I understand that you're new here. How are you finding your stay?" He asked, keeping his voice low to avoid being overheard.

"Uh, okay I guess. It's different, and some of the people are charming." I made a slight mention to Gerard, my friendly neighbour.

"I see you've met our favourite, long-term resident. He's a bit of a handful, trust me. I used to go up there and talk to him. Before he tried to kill me." He laughed, taking his near death experience as a joke. I frowned, unsure of whether to laugh along or be slightly worried. Not wanting to talk to him last night may have landed me the early death penalty.
"Don't worry. All you have to do is turn on the lights, he hates the lights. I don't know whether it's because he's afraid of bright things, or something much more deeper. Like himself, or seeing himself for who he really is." The conversation with the minister had already taken a somewhat, sinister turn.

"And what would that be?" I asked, trying my hardest to give the slightest bit of interest in the conversation.

"A murdering psychopath. Or, a naive, deprived child. After all, he's only young. But he's smart for his age. Incredibly intelligent," He was nodding, like he was caught up in some sort of spell. "Anyway, sit down with me." He added, snapping out of his little trance.

A nurse was instructed to wait by the door, the blonde one from earlier, as the minister and I sat in front of the alter. I felt slightly uncomfortable, seeing as my sexual orientation didn't exactly permit me to be sat in the room. It was a sin, an unholy attraction. We sat in the silence of the room for a while, before he opened his mouth.

"Tell me about yourself, Frank."

"What is there to know?" I scoffed; I was being truthful, my life wasn't exactly something to make a movie about. My parents were rich, and I was a flaw in their perfect plans. In more ways than others.

"Your family. Your aspirations. Who you are." He listed.

"Well, I'm Frank Iero. My parents are really, really rich. And they hate me. In some ways more than others. I've been suffering from depression for a long time, and I think it's because of them. They don't like that I'm gay, and they don't appreciate that I don't want to follow the path that they've laid out for me." I felt like I was confessing my soul to him, like they would in the Catholic Church. I felt like he wasn't going to judge me, instead he would just listen. That was all that I needed; to be listened to.

"And what path would that be?"

"University. Marriage. Children. Money. The clichè." I mumbled, itching my arms. I had a tendency to do that when I was nervous.

"Hey, it's your life. My parents wanted me to become a doctor. They never thought that I'd want to spread the word of God, in a mental institution- of all places." He shrugged with a convincing sigh; I guess nobody knows what path their life will follow.

"Well, I'm gay, and I just hope that one day they'll understand."

We sat talking for a while, until the nurse at the back was growing impatient. She tapped her foot, staring at the minister. He excused himself, imploring me to visit him again. I was no God-fearing man, but I definitely would consider talking to Jacob again. Strangely, I felt that he understood me; although subliminally slipped in warnings about Gerard.
-------------------------------------------------------
Song Of The Chapter- Crazy=Genius by Panic! At The Disco

A.N
I dunno if anybody's reading this but, I hope that this chapter is okay. I feel like I'm slacking with this story, but I shall pull through! Anyway, don't forget to vote and comment (: