Chapter Four ~And So It Begins~

“You think you know me but I'm a mystery that will never be solved...”

-Anonymous

Chapter Four ~And So It Begins~:

                We were able to pass our paper just as the bell rang. I gave a quick nod to Ms. Garcia before darting down the hall and away from the boy with the eyes that looked like the Hershey chocolate.

                “Ari, wait!” I heard him shout for me but I was already around the corner by that time. It wasn’t that I was trying to get away from him—okay, maybe a little—but the main reason I had to hurry was because maybe the others won’t be able to save us a table. And in the cafeteria, fighting for a table is almost comparable to World War Three.

                 I quickly opened my locker and shoved my book bag into it. Then I ran towards the cafeteria. I sighed in relief when I saw my group of friends sitting on a table by the window. Now that I knew they had reserved a table, I got my tray and began lining up.

                The menu for today was chicken fillet, Caesar salad, and fruit salad. At least it was decent this time. I filled my plate with the fillets and some of the fruit salad. I bought a juice box and headed for the cashier to pay.

                Just as I received my change from the lady behind, I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned and saw Eric smiling down at me. I inwardly groaned. What now?

                “Mind if I sit with you and your friends today?” He moved behind me and I saw him pay for his food. What was he up to?

                “Uh, sure. I think they won’t mind.” I headed in the direction of the table with Eric beside me. I felt the eyes of the whole cafeteria on me as I made my way to the table. Why oh why did Eric pick me to be the one to sit with?

                “Guys, meet Eric,” I gestured as soon as we reached the table. They all looked at e with their mouths open. Janna, Nina, and Kyla all had questioning eyes. “Eric, meet Janna, Nina, Kyla, and Jason.” As I said their names, I pointed at them. “Now that introductions are over, let’s eat.”

                Jason noticed the light air of awkwardness that had settled over the table. He knew it was his job to make it better and I was thankful for that. He then launched a conversation about sports with Eric. I was surprised he knew so much about the thing he didn’t like to do the most.

                “So, Ari,” Janna said, moving closer to me. “How’d you become oh so close with him?” She pointedly looked at the boy beside me. Kyla and Nina leaned closer

                “We accidentally bumped into each other the week before class, when you guys were still having you summer vacation,” I said simply, biting on a piece of chicken.

                The rest of the lunch period passed in silence—well, for me anyway. I couldn’t wait until this day would end. As I sat there eating my lunch, I can’t help but overhear the boy’s conversations. They have moved from the topic of sports to how Eric moved from San Francisco, California to Casadela, Virginia.

                His dad’s boss transferred him here so the whole family decided to move here because they all refused to be separated. I smiled at that. I wished my family was like that: strong and close. But then again, Dad was the one who insisted that we stay here, saying that he’ll be coming back home soon. When was that though?