Chapter Eleven ~Situations~

“Hurt me with truths but never comfort me with lies.”

-Anonymous

Chapter Eleven ~Situations~:

(Eric’s POV)

                I knew I was not following them by staying under the living room window of Arianna’s house and listening to them discuss the note Riley had apparently forged and left to Ari’s mom. But I thought, ‘Screw it! I will always be there for Arianna.’ I felt so sneaky right now that I remembered the comment John gave me last night after having a Spy Kids movie marathon.

                “You suck at being a spy, Eric. You can never be as sneaky as me!” But now, I was smugly thinking to myself. Ha! And you say I can’t be sneaky! I know, I know. Why would I be thinking of something like that at a time like this?

                And look where it’s got me. I had already missed a part of the conversation going inside! Crap.

                “…wouldn’t leave anything like this at all! Arianna’s not stupid and we all know she hates the color pink.” I glanced up and zoned in on the pink post-it note with Sharpie markings on it but was too faint to make out what it said. “Now all we have to do is find out the place he has taken her. He wouldn’t have gone back to Los Angeles to his father…so the best guess I have now is he is still in the area but in a secluded one; somewhere we would never think off.”

                I gulped when Nina’s body suddenly blocked the window. It was like she knew I was here…

                “I think I got something that can help us…” I heard Kyla’s somewhat muffled voice. “I was searching the kitchen like Jason told me to, and I was down on my knees looking for anything that could be hidden in the corners and I came up with this.”

                Damn, what was it?! Then I think God heard my prayers because Nina moved out of the way and stood a little way beside Kyla…who was holding up something tiny and purple. I wanted to scoot closer so that I could see what it was but then me being the clumsy one, pushed a flower pot too far as I tried to get nearer and the next thing I know, it fell and crashed—giving away my position.

                “Crap,” I said looking down at the mess I’d done. And then I noticed the bigger situation…I looked back up at the window only to be met with the frowning faces of my friends. I gave them a sheepish smile. “Uh…hey?”

***

                “We specifically said you had to stay in school, Eric,” Nina said frowning down at me. We were in Ari’s living room and they were all mad at me. What else was new? “It’s dangerous getting involved with this stuff. I don’t know what came through our heads when we told you our story but now, I know we made a mistake.”

                “Don’t you ever think for once that I might help you guys out a bit?” I said, frustrated with them for thinking I couldn’t defend myself and protect Arianna at the same time. “Just stop with all this resisting. If anything happens to me, tell Arianna that I was the one who decided and not you guys. I’ll deal with the situation.”

                “Fine!” Jason yelled in frustration. “You’re in but it was your choice, got it?” I nodded and Jason ran a hand through his hair before turning back to Kyla who was holding up what looked like a crumpled and wilted little purple flower. “Now continue with what you were trying to tell us, Kyla.”