Chapter Eight ~Explanation~

“I believe that there are some people who really do need a good hard kick in the head!”

-Anonymous

Chapter Eight ~Explanation~:

                I stared dumbfounded at Nina. She had got to be joking right? This four ordinary people can’t be part of a gang! That was just too weird and way out of the picture. They can’t be part of all those raids and violence I always see on TV.

                “Hold up. You guys were part of a freaking gang?!” I asked with an incredulous expression.

                Nina let out a frustrated sigh and then turned to the others like she was asking for help with the explaining. “See? They always arrive at that conclusion. They haven’t even heard the whole story and they are already assuming,” Nina muttered to them before looking back at me with assessing eyes. “It’s not like that, Eric. We’re not part of those big gangs that could be found in New York, Detroit, Chicago and all those other big cities. We were training to be part of them.”

                “Why?” I asked with furrowed brows, trying to piece down why they wanted to be part of them.

                “I’ll explain that later. Just don’t keep interrupting,” I nodded at her. “Okay, so back in eighth grade, we met this kid named Riley Summers. He had come from Los Angeles and he was just like any boy we had as our classmate. But then, he became part of our clique and then we became best friends.

                “It was only in the summer when we found out about what he was. He was already with Arianna by the time he told us about his family’s history. His dad was the leader of this powerful gang back in Los Angeles but he had sent Riley here to Casadela to live with his grandparents for his own safety.

                “He had this very convincing tone that we could change the world—and we were stupid enough to believe him. He kept telling us things about the government that we hadn’t known. He was a great philosopher and he easily got us to join him in training for his father’s gang,” Nina let out a wistful sigh, as if remembering how fun those times were. I just looked at her like she was crazy. “He had taught us a lot of things and he was a great friend…until he snapped.

                “It was the next summer—the summer of the ninth grade. He then became very violent and always resulted in hitting Ari. She never told us about how she got those bruises—always saying that she got them when we were training. And if you’re gonna ask, yes we did train with guns and all those kinds of stuff,” She smirked at me. “Then she saw Riley making out with Kasey.”

                “Wait, you mean Kasey Gonzales, the slut who was forcing herself on me?” I said with another incredulous expression. Wow, Riley must’ve been stupid to even think of cheating on Arianna.

                Nina gave me a grave nod. “Arianna snapped. Things were already going bad with their relationship but even then, she still stayed with him. I think she was in love with him but she wouldn’t admit it to herself.

                “But with Riley making out with Kasey, well that pushed her last button and drove her over the edge,” Nina was now whispering that I had to strain to hear her. “She actually beat up Kasey and almost broke her spine. In the end, she just knocked her out with a karate chop to her neck.” Nina chuckled again at the memory.

                “But she wouldn’t forgive Riley though and that sent him over the edge as well. He, too, had loved her but she was over it and it was hurting her so bad. We couldn’t bear to see her in such pain and we all blamed Riley. We stopped training together and we told him we didn’t like to join his stupid gang training anymore.