Chapter Five ~What Happened to Her?~

“What do you do when you find the right one...at the wrong time?”

-Anonymous

Chapter Five ~What Happened To Her?~:

(Eric’s POV)

                I saw her drop down on that gym floor and do those push-ups in less than three minutes. Wow, I thought. She’s not the same girl I met back in second grade…

                As I did my push-ups, I began thinking.

                I don’t know what to feel: disappointment or happiness. Disappointment for expecting the same sweet, shy, and fun girl when I was in the second grade and happiness that she had finally found some inner strength. I can tell though that she had placed walls around her because she felt very distant and closed except when she was with her friends.

                But even then, I could tell that there was something wrong with her. I was still happy though that Arianna had grown—and into a beautiful young lady at that.

                The week before, when I saw her in the grocery store, I wasn’t sure if that was her after all, people change. But as her mom yelled out her name, I just knew it was her. I was really happy that I had found my long lost friend again. Although we just met for three days or so, we had already shared some kind of special bond. I had to give her that necklace just so she could remember me.

                When she told me I had gotten the wrong girl, I was pretty surprised I even almost believed her. But she answered too hastily and she began moving away from me in an attempt to lose me. I had chuckled lightly at her attempts.

                Then today, when we met at Art and I ended up being her seatmate and partner. The look on her face was priceless! And I was pretty shocked, too, that she came to school here in CHS. I have never expected that we would meet again.

                “NOW GET UP AND PICK A PARTNER FOR SIT-UPS! MOVE IT!” Coach Bas shouted at us and those who were still on the ground like me scrambled to get up. Kasey started moving towards me and I seriously felt gross when she placed her hand on my knee. Slutty much?

                Realizing that Kasey wanted to be partners, I quickly moved towards Leo. He grinned at me and said, “Don’t worry; she’ll be off your back in a couple of months. That’s when she usually finds a new one.”

                “A couple of months?” I asked incredulously. Shit...just my luck.

                “You’ll just have to power through it, dude,” Leo said, holding my feet as we began sit-ups. “You’ll just have to.”

                “Eric, dinner time!” My little sister, Misty, called from outside the door. I placed down my History book on my desk and went to open the door.

                “Hey, Mist,” I said, ruffling the nine year old's hair. “How’s school?”

                “Fine, everyone was nice to me,” She smiled brightly at me. Then we started down to see mom and dad sitting on the table.

                “Hey, kids,” Dad said, holding up his cup of juice above his glasses as a gesture of hello. “How was your day?”

                Dad was the joker in the family. He was the one who loved to crack up jokes to lighten up the atmosphere. He was also a weird father because he still loved to play with us but more on Misty though. He was a kid at heart.