Chapter 2

"Jesus Christ," I breathlessly exclaim, dismounting the exercise bike. Viktor chuckles from his place in the corner as I rest my hands on my hips.

"You went hard today, woman."

I grab my water bottle, nodding. I focus on the landscapers adding more flowers to my backyard for the party next week, already dreading it. They've already begun setting up the tents and gazebos.

It has to be the party of the century. I'm presenting the new items from my satin collection. Over three hundred people will be here- the world's elite.

I smile as Viktor comes up next to me. "So, I had a question."

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering... if you'd consider letting me walk."

My gaze leaves the window immediately and I stare at him wide-eyed. "The show?"

"Yes, we're still looking for someone to fill Gilford's place. I thought I'd just put my name in the mix."

"I didn't know you knew how to walk runway."

"Honey, I'm gay and I work for you. I know how to walk."

I chuckle, leaning back against the glass. This should be interesting. "Alright, show me."

He walks to the end of the room without question and turns, making his way back, somehow rocking the sweaty workout look. His facial expression is fierce and focused and I find myself actually thinking about it.

He definitely has the features- the beauty. He has the body and he has the presence. When he gets back to me, I raise my brows, smirking.

"Okay, I'll say yes if you promise me that you're not on the verge of leaving me to become a famous model."

He jumps up and down excitedly and wraps his arms around my shoulders, pressing a kiss to my head. "I fucking love you so much right now."

I grab my towel, chuckling. "You'll get it all situated?

"Yep, you don't have to worry about a thing."

"Good."

I walk to the bathroom across the hall, stripping for a shower. I have to be at the workshop in an hour. Viktor follows me, reading off my messages, completely unfazed now to my nakedness. I step into the glass as he leans against the sink, letting me hear the voicemails left this morning.

There are over ten left from Marcus... off of my work phone. I don't even want to look at how many are here on the house phone. I run my hands through my hair, shaking my head.

"What the hell is wrong with that guy?" Viktor mutters, turning it off.

"He showed up at the mat yesterday."

"No," he breathes, sounding disbelieving.

"Yep, he did. We got in a huge fight and- and this guy, his name was Stellan, he actually told Marcus off." Why am I smiling?

"Brave man."

"Yeah, I know."

"Was he hot?"

"He was homeless."

"Oh... well... was he hot?"

I laugh, gasping. "You're ridiculous!"

I listen to him chuckle, staring at the marbled wall of the shower. "You know... he wasn't necessarily bad looking actually. Just a little rough around the edges."

"Um, I was kidding, babe."

I open the door, grabbing my towel. "I know, I was just thinking about it."

"Hey, whatever floats your boat," he jokes.

"Oh, stop."

"No, I mean it. Go get yourself a hot homeless dude."

He yelps playfully as my towel collides with his face.

...

I sit back in my chair as my designers stand up from the conference table, taking their switches and draw out sheets with them. My gaze is focused primarily on Gwyneth who smartly has been avoiding my eye contact all day.

I watch her stand up, a gleam in my eye. "Gwyn, I'd like to speak with you."

"Oh... alright," she whispers, her eyes flickering to my staff, a very watchful group.

"Please, sit." I gesture to the seat in front of me, completely calm as I wait for the door to close. She does sit, tucking her blonde hair behind her ear. She's wearing the earring's I gave her for Christmas, a daring move.

"Iris, I'd really like to apologize- if you'll let me."

I nod. "Okay."

She looks surprised but anyway, reaches forward, taking my hand.

"You're my best friend, Iris and I-I love you... you know that. You know I didn't go out and look to do this. We fell in love. And-and I hate that I've hurt you and if you really want me to- I'll leave him. That's how important your friendship is to me... I'm so sorry for all of this. I'm so sorry."

She squeezes my hand as I stare at her, my middle finger rubbing my bottom lip. I watch her smile with disgust.

"You'll leave him?"

"Yes, I will. I will."

A smirk lights my face. "I'm confused... If I have the facts correct, that would be pretty impossible- you know, considering he dumped you yesterday."

And there it is. The doe-eyed look I was expecting. I sit forward, crossing my hands over my knees.

"Am I right?"

"No, he-he didn't dump me."

"Oh, he didn't?"

"No, he was upset but we're still together."

Oh, I don't even have the patience for this. I roll my eyes, pursing my lips contemplatively.

"Alright, look... I could honestly give two shits about whether or not you leave him. But what you did puts me in a difficult predicament, you see? I was looking to make you Vice President of my company- that opportunity is gone, Gwyneth."

She stares and I watch her eye twitch. "I've worked for you for-"

"Five years, known me for six and I've trusted you with everything. And now you've broken that trust... I'm demoting you, Gwyneth."

She stands in a rush. "What?"

"Did you honestly think I was going to just let this go? Considering also the fact that you're slacking?" I pick up the floral dress that Oli had dropped off to my office high in the air. "This stitch work is appalling."

She grabs it from my hands, turning it inside out with her fingers. "This was one mistake!"

"Well, you've technically made two. One's a little more significant than the other but nevertheless Gwyneth, I do not want to just throw you out- although that's probably what I should do. You will still be in the design department but Oli will take your place as Key Designer."

"No, Iris. You can't do this!"

"I already have," I murmur, standing. "See Viktor after this for the contract. Of course, you have the choice to leave if you'd like. It's your choice."

"I made a mistake, Iris! I'm your best friend. We love each other."

I turn at the door, pointing at her. "No, I loved you before! Now, you're nothing but a homewrecking liar who somehow managed to sleep her way to the bottom."

I open the door with an angry pull and Viktor looks up from the ground, his back against the wall. He's already got the contract in hand. I look at him and then to my employees, hoping they understand that I didn't get to where I am being nice- by letting people trample over me.

I nod at Viktor, giving him the signal to go in before I make my exit.