Chapter 3

"Well, you definitely pissed her off," Viktor murmurs, chuckling as he struts into my office. "She quit, turned down the offer."

I look up from the burgundy satin, a pin between my lips. "Yeah, I expected that. I got a little carried away."

"Just a bit... Slept her way to the bottom. That was a nice one, I have to say."

I roll my eyes, sticking the pin between the folded skirts.

"The office is scared of you now too."

"As they should be," I murmur, standing up in nude stilettos. "This show has to be perfect."

"It will be, babe. Everything is ready- and you have me in it now. I got my measurements while you were in the meeting."

"Your excitement for this has me nervous."

"I'm not going anywhere, well- for now. I just hope I don't trip."

"You're beautiful, Vik. I don't think people would even care- well, apart from me. I'd kill you."

"You love me too much."

I smile wide, sighing. "It's been such an eventful couple of days."

"I know. Kicking your beau out, firing your right hand, pinning for a hot, homeless guy... Busy couple of days."

"Alright, first thing wrong with that sentence is you're my right hand." He smiles, obviously pleased. "And secondly, I'm not pinning for Stellan."

"Oh yeah? Then why are you going there again today?"

I freeze. "Who told you that?"

"Eric."

Making a silent memo to kill him.

"... I'm going to just make sure he's okay. I don't know why but I feel bad for him."

"Yeah, he's homeless. It's sad but what are you expecting to do? Feed him? Get him a hotel room?"

"I don't know. I just know I want to maybe find out his story- help him if I can. Not just anyone would stand up for someone they don't know."

"... Alright, well let me know if he's gay."

I chuckle, gasping. "Jesus, Viktor."

...

I pull down on my black dress as I exit the limo, nervous as I cross the sidewalk towards the laundry mat. Stellan is not at the bench, nor nowhere in site. I deflate in disappointment, placing my hands on my hips.

Dammit.

Maybe he moved somewhere else? I turn to look at Eric, who's exiting the SUV when I suddenly see him. I smile wide, finding Stellan across the street, helping a man unload crated vegetables for the corner market.

I lift my hand to block the sunlight from my eyes, surprised at the build of his torso. I hadn't seen it before with the large jacket... He's only in a t-shirt and jeans and I'm stuck staring. He looks up from one of the crates, freezing when his eyes meet mine.

Awkward to be caught ogling him, I give a small wave, smiling. He looks over to the guy, murmurs something to him and surprising me, he begins to make his way over towards me. I close my eyes slightly; unsure as to why I'm suddenly desperate for a man I know nothing about... A man who clearly isn't right for me.

"Iris," he murmurs, stepping up onto the sidewalk. He's out of breath- my eyes fixate on the fast rise and fall of his chest.

"Hi... Stellan," I force out, smiling nervously.