Chapter 21

"You look very contemplative," I murmur softly behind Stellan, wrapping my arms around his wide shoulders. He's showered and at the patio window, staring out. "What are you looking at?"

He reaches up and grasps one of my hands. "You have a pool out there now."

I chuckle with relief. "Uh, yeah. I rarely get in it though- someone could get frostbite in there right now."

"It's surreal to be back here," he murmurs, shaking his head. I rest my head onto his shoulder, entwining our fingers.

"Do you remember Gus- at the laundry mat?"

He nods, glancing to the side. "Yeah."

"He got married a month ago."

"No."

I chuckle loudly. "Yeah, it's true."

"He always talked about you- to everyone. He would boast that one day you guys were going to get married."

"Did he? God, I thought it was only me he said that too."

"No, he took great pride in having a supermodel in his place... do you still go there?"

"I haven't in a long time. I went to the wedding- that's how I know about them."

"And the river? Been able to get over that old bridge?"

"Many times," I confess softly, nodding.

"Good."

"... I got a call from Viktor. He told me it would be better if we laid low for a couple of days."

"I'm completely good with that."

"Yeah?"

He turns, laying a hand on my waist and a smile breaks across my face. "Yeah."

...

I step from the limo onto the emerald carpet, taking Stellan's outreached hand. He's in a black suit- one of the many I never returned when he was with me a year ago. The flashes begin to blind, the hollers heighten- I swallow and smile wide, surprised at how calm Stellan looks considering who we're about to encounter sometime tonight.

The limo door shuts behind me and I turn, seeing Eric's focused gaze on both of us. My heart beats wildly as we begin to start up the stairs, along with the other guests.

Thankfully, the chatter around us blocks the shouts from the reporters. I clutch Stellan's hand tighter, waiting until he looks down at me.

"Good?" I murmur as we make it into the large doors.

"I'm fine," he answers, smiling slightly.

"Iris! Oh my gosh!"

Not even two steps into the ballroom, I hear the voice of Elizabeth Craner- a woman who somehow always seems to find me, no matter what function. She's persistent as hell.

"Elizabeth."

Her eyes widen as she takes in the man beside me. "Holy smokes, who's the guy?"

"Stellan Reid, this is Elizabeth Craner," I murmur, glancing around at the room as they shake hands. My gaze drifts over the updos and various hats but I don't see Constantine in sight yet. I feel Stellan's hand rest on my back and I look at him.

Clearly, I missed something because they are both look at me expectantly. I gape slightly, smiling.

"I'm sorry- just caught sight of Rebecca Ford. What did you say?"