Chapter 18

I stand, frozen, my arms full with clothes, unable to speak- unable to tear my eyes away from him.

He doesn't speak either- just smiles softly, shutting the door behind him. He's wearing jeans and a t-shirt, looking casual and utterly breathtaking.

"I hope- you don't mind... me just showing up like this," he murmurs hesitantly, releasing me from my trance.

"... What are you doing here?"

He shrugs, shaking his head. "I don't know- well actually I do... I- can't sleep. I can't work. I barely knew what I was actually doing until I took time off work and bought a ticket for New York."

My voice is quiet, but my heart is loud, loud and pounding. "Why did you do that?"

"Because I love you too," he utters simply, as if that were the only possible explanation.

My lips are trembling violently as he moves slowly towards me, trying to gauge my reaction. He lifts my chin, raising his brows in question. "Is that an okay answer to your question?"

I nod as the tears fall from my eyes onto my cheeks. "Yes." I drop the clothes onto the ground between us and wrap my arms around his shoulders tightly. "Yes, yes- that's a perfect answer."

He chuckles and holds my head tenderly as I cry in his arms, praying that this isn't a dream.

"What-what does this mean?" I gasp into his shirt, shaking my head in awe.

"It means we're going to do this... We're going to figure out a way out of this... together."

...

Viktor's elbows prop up against the counter as he looks down at his phone. "I think your best chance is an interaction with Vance and Constantine. It's going to take balls but as long as you've got enough to threaten their reputation, they should back away."

"How do we do that?" I question, setting down a tray of four mugs of coffee.

Stellan shakes his head. "Vance Waters doesn't back down."

Eric grabs the sugar, also reaching for a spoon and milk. "Well, what would you say to suing him?"

"Suing him?"

"Yes, first make a confrontation. Find a way for them to run into you both- let them know that you've acquired dirt on them."

I sit down, glancing over at Stellan. "They'll come after us if we do that."

"Exactly," Stellan agrees, nodding. "If you were to look up the word corrupt in the dictionary, his name would be there. He's gonna try to handle this privately... I just don't know how far he'd go."

Eric nods. "Which is why you'll already have a lawyer and make the news public as soon as you leave their presence. That way all eyes will be on this new case... There will be no way for him to get to either of you without causing a scene or condemning himself."

Viktor straightens, blowing out a breath. "Well, where's a place they can run into each other? Constantine has a movie premiere coming soon."

Eric shakes his head. "No, that's too showy. We need to do this discreetly but in public."

I look up. "The fundraiser? I could invite them?"

"...Would Vance go?"

I nod. "She goes nowhere without him. Anyway, I'll put both their names on the invite. There will be men there so it's not like he'd stand out."

"You're going to need security at all times, just as a precaution though," Viktor adds. I glance up at Eric and he nods, letting me know he understands.

"When's the fundraiser?" Stellan asks, placing a hand on my back. I'm comforted when he rubs softly, a reminder to me that he's actually here.

"Two days."

"Alright, well- I'm going to get that invite sent ASAP if they're going to consider going," Viktor states, grabbing his bag off the chair. "I'll text you when it's out."

"Thanks Vik."

"I'll go with him if you don't need me further?"

I shake my head and he follows a step behind Viktor.

"Oh, it's good to have you back, Stellan," Viktor adds, opening the front door.

"Missed me, huh?"

"Almost as much as she did," he murmurs, smirking and shuts the door behind him. I let out a deep breath, glancing up at Stellan.

"You're... okay with this?"

"With what?"

"What we're about to do... I know it's asking a lot of you. That it will be hard to see them again."

"I'm ready," he answers, nodding, taking my hand. He entwines his fingers with mine and I find myself smiling wide.

"You've been nervous."

"Huh?"

"You've bitten your nails."

He looks down, laughing suddenly. "Yeah, on the flight over. I had no idea what to expect. I thought you were going to throw me out after what happened in Paris."

I shake my head, silently.

"I wanted to tell you," he whispers as I move into him, wrapping my arms tight around his body. "I regretted what I said- the minute you left. It would kill me if you married that guy- or anyone else."

"I broke up with him... that day," I clarify, squeezing him tighter.

"You did?"

I pull my head back and nod. "There's no one but you, Stellan."

He smiles softly, grasping my face between both his hands and lowers his lips onto mine. My fingers cup his wrists, seizing him for myself. I'm smiling when he pulls back, inhaling calmly.

"W-when do you have to go back to work?"

"A couple days. I've got to explain what happened."

"Does your boss know about-?"

He nods, surprising me. "I told him- before I left."

"What did he say?"

"That while it wasn't what he was expecting, he understands that I took the opportunity presented to me. He didn't seem to mind too much- but he is going to want to know that I'm taking someone to court."

"You don't think he'll- fire you?"

"I don't know," he murmurs, looking down at me. "It's a gamble I'm willing to take. I'm done hiding."

"You did nothing wrong anyway. Vance Waters is a criminal and we can prove it... I'm sure of it."

A/N: How you guys liking the story so far?! xx