Chapter 29

"He won't be back," I utter, almost to myself, clutching the pillow tighter. My response triggers Stellan's soft grip to tighten on my waist, letting me know silently that he's there.

I've known Viktor since I started modeling as a teenager. He's been with me through anything- and in all the years of knowing him, I've never once seen him lose it like that.

His voice is suddenly soft and low. "Have you finalized the changes for the deals or is it still being processed?"

I wipe beneath my eye, nodding. "It hasn't been processed yet."

He remains silent and I already know why he asked. "Stellan... What he said wasn't true."

"... One thing he got right is that you're giving up too much. He doesn't know what we have together so I don't expect him to understand but- he was right about your company. You need to stay in New York. This is way too much of a jump- too soon. It's only going to make things more complicated."

I stare at the empty wall of his bedroom, pressing my lips together tightly. "I have to go back tomorrow... I have to fix this."

"I'll be right behind you. I have to pack up this place- get things settled here. Talk to Ron."

I don't even fight him on it. Right now, I'm selfish enough to stay quiet.

...

"When should I expect you?"

Stellan pulls back, his fingers strong on my hips. My jet is like a looming shadow in the background. As he pulls a piece of my hair back behind my ear, I close my eyes, hating the idea of being apart from him.

"A week, hopefully. If not that, two."

"Eric's staying here," I state, pressing my lips together tightly.

"What? Why?"

"Because with everything happening right now, you need protection."

"I'll be fine, Iris."

"Please, just indulge me." I'm practically begging. I hug him tighter, groaning. "I must be crazy if the thought of a week without you is killing me."

"It will fly by," he murmurs, smiling softly. "And then I'll be there for good."

"I'm ready for it."

"Me too."

Pulling back slowly, I touch his chest. "Are we- okay? I know Viktor said a lot... I-"

He smiles softly and cuts me off, "I love you."

...

The sky is gray and gloomy in New York when I arrive, greeted by another member of my security. I smile softly, nodding.

"Hello, Pat."

He acknowledges me with a curt nod. "Miss Tremaine."

"I'd like to go to the office, please."

"Sure thing." He takes my bag, without a word and walks before me. Dressed completely in black and sporting dark shades, he looks ferocious and definitely intimidates the reporters and press waiting when I turn the corner into the main portion of JFK.

I'm lost in thought as we approach my office. Seeing it makes me think of Viktor.

I look away from the dark tint of the window towards Pat. "Um, Pat- have you seen Viktor today? Did he come into work?"

"Yes, he actually arrived early this morning. He- packed his things."

"Oh..."

"He also mentioned to the staff that there is going to be a change of the corporate office."