Chapter 10

"That looks positively disgusting," Stellan murmurs quietly, leaning across the candlelit table. His gaze is intent on my steamed kale salad and grilled chicken. I grin, rolling my eyes.

"It's not as bad as it looks."

"Oh really? It's not bland as hell?"

"Uh, no? It's really good for you. Maybe you should try it- you know, instead of the steak fillet that probably has more calories than three McDonalds meals combined."

"You know you're jealous of my plate," he states, grabbing his red wine. I shake my head and cut my chicken, not even tempting myself to look over at the juicy meat. I look up when I see him holding out his fork, mashed potatoes and all. I glance around at the other tables, biting my lip.

"No, I can't," I force out, shaking my head.

"Come on."

I settle my fork and knife down roughly, glaring at him, to which he chuckles, retreating. "Alright, alright. Fine."

"Give it to me."

With a smirk, he holds it out and I bite down on the fork, humming in pleasure. I open my eyes and find his gaze hard on my mouth. "Oh, I shouldn't have done that."

"Why not?"

I swallow, shaking my head. "Because now my food definitely tastes bland as hell."

He laughs, displaying a breathtaking, carefree smile. "We'll share."

"No, nope. I'm good. I have a shoot on Monday. No cheating."

"A shoot- for what?"

"New line of bathing suits... You know, it would actually be a good idea for you to come. I have a men's line so it may be good for you to see what it's like."

"Okay... What can you tell me about modeling? I've never even thought about it."

"Really?" I mutter under my breath, chuckling as I lift the kale on my fork.

"I think that may have been the closest you've given me to a compliment."

My eyes flicker up and I watch his mouth twist with amusement. "You know you're beautiful."

"Do I?"

I cut my food, just so he doesn't see my face heat. "Uh-huh."

"Uh-huh?"

I laugh, shaking my head. "You're killing me. Yes! You're stunning, magnificent, perfect and every ridiculously amazing adjective out there," I mutter, dropping my head into my hands. I can face business partners, designers, ex-boyfriends and remain completely calm and collected- but I can't even get through a fucking meal with this one without producing word vomit.

I glance up at him, relieved to find him staring at me, smiling softly. He places his hands on the seat rests and lifts himself up, bending over our food to kiss me gently. I close my eyes, relaxing immediately.

He pulls back after a moment and we're both aware of the stares around us. "Ditto."

...

I shut the bathroom door, lifting my phone to my ear.

"Charles, I need you to find everything you can on Vance and Constantine Waters."

"... Sure thing, should I be looking for anything particular?"

"Anything of consequence. Dirt worthy stuff, Charles. Don't ask me why."

"Vance Waters is untouchable, Iris. I doubt he has much out to the public."

"He's dirty. There has to be something. Let me know if you find anything."

"I'll do my best, boss."

I look into the mirror, seeing flushed cheeks. "Also... on Stellan Reid. I need to know everything there is to know about him. Can you have the files to me by Monday morning?"

"Of course."

"Thank you. Please have it packaged discreetly. Mr. Reid is staying at my residence as of the moment."

"Will do."

"Thanks, sorry to disturb your weekend."

"Wasn't doing much anyway. You know I live for this."

"You're the best." I hang up, taking a deep breath. The show is days away. I need to find a way to introduce Stellan to the world in a shocking, daring way. And I need to make sure Vance and Constantine are made aware of it.

My eyes widen as a metaphorical light bulb brightens in my brain. I begin to write a text to Viktor.

Hope you're not partying too hard... On Monday morning, I need you to send invitations for the show to Mr. and Mrs. Waters. They need seats right up front in center. The works. Make it happen.

...

I wrap my hands tight around the pillow, my heart still rapid from exertion. I feel Stellan's body mold tighter to my back, his arms strong and protective around my shoulders.

I'm almost scared- I feel scared. I've slept with him twice now and both times equally, I've felt awed by it- nervous. Almost like this is too good to be true.

He kisses my shoulder softly before I feel his chin rest softly where his lips were. "Iris."

"Yeah?"

"... What are we doing?"

My eyes flicker to the sheer curtains in this dark room. "What do you mean?"

"I'm asking what to expect- from this. With us."

"Why?"

"Because I'm unable to tell whether this is- just for the weekend or something else."

"I don't really know what this is. I don't really know what I want- I just left Marcus."

"Yeah, I get that," he murmurs, nodding. I reach up and touch his hand, biting my lip.

"But I don't want this to be a weekend thing... if you want to try." I turn enough to look at him, still clutching his hand. His hair gleams in the moonlight, making him look almost angelic.

He nods and lowers his head, pressing his lips to mine tenderly. I reach up, clutching his hair softly as his hand descends lower.