Chapter 22

Chest heaving due to the large amount of adrenaline coursing through my veins, I tilt my head to look at him. Constantine's eyes are like saucers, rimmed with water.

"Please, don't do this to me, Stellan. I truly had no idea- I still have no idea what he did to you. But I loved you- you knew that."

"Did I?"

"Please-"

"Get a lawyer, Constantine," he utters quietly as a woman walks up to us. I've only met her once at one of my shows- I can't even remember her name. I'm relieved when she looks to Constantine, who's failing to hide how distraught she is. She's still gawking at the beautiful man beside me, and I feel disgusted. Disgusted at the knowledge of their fucked-up relationship.

"Constantine, it's been a lifetime! How are you?" the woman murmurs happily, touching Constantine's arm. Her eyes drift from Stellan's face as if she we're drugged.

"Hi, Jane."

"I have someone I want you to meet. My husband- he's-"

I watch her panic, her gaze sharp on the door. "I actually- I have to go."

"No, please- stay-"

Stellan smiles calmly. "Please, excuse us, ladies."

I resist gasping when he leads me away towards our table, everyone is now beginning to sit down. Viktor's standing by the orchestra, his gaze intent on us. I nod to him and I watch his shoulders slacken in relief.

I smile softly to the others already seated at my table, most of them high end designers. Stellan pulls in my chair and takes a spot beside me, keeping a firm hand on the back of my chair.

"Iris- we were just talking about-"

The lights dim as Oli tries to help us into the conversation the table is having and I'm glad for it. My hands are shaking in my lap as the contemporary dancers step out of the curtain. Everyone begins to clap but I look forward, eyes firm on Constantine who is still standing, trying to get away from the woman speaking to her.

The servers set the dinners down in front of the guests and if I weren't panicking myself, I would have been extremely pleased with how this event has turned out. A hand settles on both of mine as he leans in close.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes," I whisper, swallowing. He rubs his thumb along my skin.

"She's gone."

Surely enough, when I look away from his face, she has disappeared and I realize it's time for us to go. We need to be home when the news gets out. I nod and he stands up quietly, setting down his napkin onto the table, reaching out for me. The table looks over at us but I shake my head, smiling.

"We will be back."

We sift our way through the crowd of tables towards the back and I'm pleased to see Eric already holding the door open. In the dully lit hallway, we walk fast, trying to make it to the back of the building without being seen.

I shuffle into the limo, with difficulty due to the grandeur of the gown. Stellan picks up the train of it and settles it down into the limo before climbing in beside me. As soon as Eric closes the door, I reach into the front of the dress, clasping the small microphone clipped on the fabric.

"Can you get the back?" I ask, turning to the side. Stellan grabs my zipper, pulling it down. His hands are cold as he reaches inside to grab the other piece of equipment and I feel my body shiver at the touch. He pulls the zipper back up slowly as I turn off the recording.