Review #27-Scion

Title:Title: Scion

Author: LB Norton (lambertnorton) 

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: PG-13

# of chapters: 5 (ongoing) 

# of chapters I read: 2

Summary/Blurb:

When Amarnissrian soldiers occupy his village, sixteen-year-old Innugehn must fend off their advances to protect his home. In the midst of his efforts, a terrible power is unleashed that destroys not only the soldiers, but his entire community. Fleeing the ruins of his old life, Innugehn is captured by Inckhanaran forces, who offer him a fresh start in exchange for his servitude.

But not all is as it seems—whispers in the shadows tell of a treacherous plot afoot. While under military custody, the Amarnissrians approach Innugehn with a stunning revelation, one that leaves him questioning his allegiance. Trapped between two warring nations, tangled in a web of deceit, Innugehn must decide whom he can trust... and uncover the truth behind his past.

Review:

Cover:

I actually debated about whether I should say this or not, due to its high score on the 'nasty' scale, but I decided that it's vital that I let you know. My thoughts could be shared by others, and I much rather make you aware of them.

The naked guy on the cover looks like he's either a) getting a blowjob by someone or b) playing with his dong, all from behind the comfort of a silky red curtain. There, I said it! I couldn't be the only one that was thinking it! (Plus, you've concealed his butt crack with the author's name. If that's not suggestive, I don't know what is. I don't even want to think about what your search history looks like.

The tattoo on his back (is it a separate picture, layered onto his back?) looks like it was drawn by a kindergartener. Even if it was supposed to look like it was branded, I still think that it could look better. I'm also kind of concerned about those two gashes in his back—he needs to get those clean up asap, or they will get infected.

I know that Fantasy writers are all for quirky titles, so instead of assuming that 'Scion' doesn't mean anything, I decided to do the smart thing and look up in a dictionary what it means. Aside of the completely unrelated definitions, such as arm/limb, most of the definitions hint towards 'heir' 'descendant' or offspring. Having read the blurb, this title does have a connection to the story, in fact, the last sentence "and uncover the truth behind his past" basically gives a justification to your title.

I keep reading it as "Sigh-on", and after another brief consultation of the dictionary, it's the right way to say. Phew.

Overall—This story better be PG-13. 

Blurb:

The first two sentences were one big yikes. It made me think of that scene from Sia's "Titanium" music video, where the kid punches the earth and everyone around him flies away. I bet this is how the book is going to open, and I can't wait to see it happen. It's tragic, but at the same time, I find it hilarious.

Apart from the unpronounceable names (did you use a fantasy name generator) I liked this blurb. It introduces the main character, his destructive powers, the setting, and the conflict question. It's all very compelling, and even though I have no idea about these "warring nations", I'm interested to find out more about them.

I feel bad for Innugehn—he decimates the soldiers of one nation, but then gets caught by the other (in all honesty, he did the Inckhanaran forces a massive favor. He saved them a lot of unnecessary deaths if they were heading over to occupy the village).