Review #35-Human Error

Title: Human Error

Author:NeverTrustAnAuthor

Genre: Sci-fi/Dystopian

Rating: PG-13 

# of chapters: 7 (ongoing)

# of chapters I read: 

Summary/Blurb: 

It's the year 2218.

The earth has gone to war. The remaining countries of the world have hidden their people behind steel walls and missiles.

And we, the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, have divided the powerful from the powerless. The advanced from the forgotten. The good from the bad.

But how long would that really last? Now the insurgo have risen. They started out as scientists seeking to make the world a better place. Now? Now the murder and destroy. Now they form monsters and mutants.

The DOD has had just about enough. The rebellion is spreading. The rumours have become reality. But the government isn't prepared to get its hands dirty. Not when the UN is about to chose a new country to destroy.

In comes project deathlock, the genetically enhanced superhumans of the world.

Can the people of maceria put their trust in a ragtag group of criminals? Can liars and cheaters save the world?

Review:

Cover:

I don't really like this cover; it doesn't really catch my attention, or show me anything that says "Human Error". It's literally just a person with geometric shapes as tattoos, and "the best of the best were not available" on their back (to make sense of this you have to read on to the blurb).

Additionally, the whole thing is in black/white, so it's a little dull on the eyes. Whenever I think of Science Fiction, I see bright blues/greens/reds, all colours associated with technology. This story revolves around super humans, battles, etc. this gives you a lot of leeway to make the cover more badass.

Finally, the cursive font doesn't really work, again, because it doesn't fit the genre. This type of font is something you'd usually see in the Romance genre (because it emulates someone's handwriting) while in science-fiction you see more 'block writing'. I suggest that you get a new cover asap. 

Blurb:

Hmm this sounds very intense. I can already tell that there will be ALOT going on in this story (fight scenes, action, explosions, please, there better be explosions), and things will be very chaotic. I'm a little skeptical about some of the things mentioned in this blurb, but I'll talk about that later.

The idea of genetically mutated superhumans has always intrigued me (everyone has wanted to be some kind of hero at some point in their lives) but because this has been done before countless of times, I'm expecting for there to be an interesting twist on this.

Genetic modification has a plethora of open doors, you just have to know which ones to open and exploit. It also seems like the people chosen to be modified are criminals...I'm not sure how good of an idea that is (unless they use sociopaths—those people would seriously be ruthless killers) but I guess I'll find out.

So the main issue I see with this blurb is the lack of a specific structure—by this, I mean that there isn't a clear-cut sequence of events in it. You open it with the Earth being at war, then America's union, then something about the UN trying to destroy countries, and project deathlock, which goes back to America. It's a little all over the place, and it does cause some confusion, especially the acronyms—non-Americans may have trouble understanding what the DOD (Department of Defense?) is.