Chapter 1: 93 days

I don't have my sister this time around, but I guess I didn't on my first day in Maine either. But, now that she is away at college, I don't have anyone at all this time.

I get out of my new car, which Dad got me for making me move out here. I didn't really want a brand new car, but he gave it to me, so I use it. It's a Volkswagen Beetle. My favorite type of car. Dad really just wants to kiss my butt so it isn't that bad here in Illinois, even though it really is. I left my best friends, and the love of my life, I don't think I am really going to get over it with a car. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and I am very thankful for it, but the reason he is giving it to me is kind of irrational.

As soon as I get out of the car, groups of people stare at me. Guys look over me with those looks, and I really couldn't care less. I've been that new girl quite a few times, the looks no longer phase me.

I walk with my head held high and my messenger bag slung over my shoulder. After Cara gave me a makeover, she refuses to let me wear chucks everyday, and more heels. My skirt is only an inch under my a$$ and the fact that Cara thinks this sweater is thin, is outrageous. It's like 80 degrees out here, and this 'light' sweater is horrid, but Cara is literally making me wear it, but I guess I could take it off. What was she going to do? She's in Ohio.

As I walk through the main doors, my phone vibrates from my pocket. Cara's face lights up the screen. I hit the accept button on the screen and put the phone to my ear. "Hey Cara".

"Hey Mere, find a new boyfriend yet?" she asks.

"No Cara, and I'm not going to. I am still with Cole, nothing is going to change that".

I walk into the main office and sandwich the phone between the side of my head and shoulder. Cara starts to talk about her first few days in her dorm and her roommate, Kate, who seems cool.

"Meredith Adams", I tell the woman at the front desk. She hands me forms to fill out. I set my phone down on the counter as I fill out my papers as Cara still drones on and on about whatever. A moment later, the woman introduces herself as Mrs. Hope and she hands me my schedule and a map. The bell rings and kids rush into their classrooms. The map helps little, but I finally find my way to advanced calculus. I say goodbye to Cara as I walk into the classroom.

I introduce myself quickly to Mr. Trainer. He motions to a seat in the middle of the room. I sit quickly and whistles come from behind me. Mr. Trainer gives the guys behind me dirty looks and starts going over the syllabus he hands each of us. It's pretty much the hardest calculus he could possibly give us in high school.

The bell rings before I know it and I walk out of the classroom to find my locker. It's just outside the door. I stand there for a moment before I see a large figure stand beside me, blocking most light into my locker.

"Hey cutie", the guy says. "What's your name?"

"Meredith", I say flatly.

"I'm Marcus", he says, leaning up against the lockers. "We should hang out sometime".

I don't break my stare into my locker. "Nope". I say quickly.

"Why not, Sweets?" He leans in a little closer with me.

"I have a boyfriend, thanks". I finally look up at him. He kind of looks like Cole, but Cole's eyes are prettier. He is wearing a Letterman jacket with an F on the left side. On his sleeve, a hockey stick and puck. I roll my eyes, in my head.

"Where does he live? He's probably not close by", Marcus sneers.

I slam my locker door, almost hitting his face. He flinches a little. "He's in Maine".

I turn around and walk away, trying to find Botany class. He steps in front of me, blocking my way. I almost walk into him.

"That's pretty far away, don't you think? Maybe you should find one closer to here", he smirks down at me.

"I'm good thanks. Nice effort though", I push him out of my way. "Now, if you excuse me, I need to get to class".

I walk away quickly and find room 387. A second before I walk in, my phone vibrates in my bag. I take it out to see the picture of me and Cole on the ice at the Munn a year or two ago.

"Hey Baby", I say into the phone. I lean against the wall.

"Hey Cutie. How has your first day been?" I smile whenever he talks. It makes me happy.

"Pretty good. My calculus class is going to be torture though. Botany is next, which kind of sounds fun. Some guy was hitting on me a few minutes ago, then I walked away. He was a total douche", Cole laughs, just a little. "How's yours been?"

"Well good. Mine has been okay, but I really miss you. It's so weird not walking down the hallway holding your hand. Noah texted me this morning. I guess he lost your number somehow, so I gave it to him. So, expect calls or texts within the next few hours", I can hear a faint sound of the bell behind Cole's voice. "Ugh, I guess I have to get to class. I love you".

"I love you too Cole", we bid our goodbyes and hang up the phone. I walk into the classroom the second my own bell rings.

"I'm Mrs. Harper. Please take a seat right here", the teacher greets me instantly. I sit in the cold, hard plastic chair and put my bag at my feet. On the board, pictures of reproductive organs of plants are posted. The teacher talks for a while, handing us the syllabus for this semester.

93 days left until I go back to Maine for Thanksgiving to see Cole, and it's been going great. Well, kinda. Actually, no.