Chapter 21: 43 Days

Free period ends, lunch time. Aiden says goodbye to Cole and I. He has a project to work on for one of his classes. Which leaves Cole and I to the cafeteria. Addison has always wanted to meet Cole. But, I don't exactly feel comfortable bringing Cole around Marcus.

Hand in hand, Cole and I walk into the cafeteria. I look around for a moment before I see my normal table already filled with our people. Addison, Charlotte, Tif, Maddy, Becca, Cody, Damien, Will, Steven, and, of course, Marcus. I take a deep breath before pulling Cole along to the table.

"Hey guys. This is Cole", I say as I push Cole down to sit in my normal seat. I stand behind him. Everyone turns to us. The guys are shocked and the girls blush.

"Oh. My. God. Cole. Freaking. Anderson", Addison says.

"That's me. You must be", Cole looks up at me, then back at her. "Addison. I presume".

"That's me", Addison laughs. "It's great to finally meet you in person". Cole and Addison shake hands.

The other girls, and the guys, introduce themselves to Cole. All but Marcus. Cole looks up at me, as if asking why this guy wasn't talking to him. I mouth the word Marcus. Cole does a little realization nod. He pulls me onto his lap, I giggle as he kisses my neck.

"Get a room", Marcus scoffs from across the table. I look at Cole for a second, then at Marcus.

"Marcus, be nice. They're in love", Addison says dreamily. Marcus rolls his eyes.

"Whatever", Marcus stands. "I'll be in the rink. Be there no later than five minutes after the bell rings. If you are, you're off the team", he walks off.

"Such a ray of sunshine, isn't he?" Cole whispers into my ear. I laugh, and the girls give me strange looks. I shrug with a smile on my face.

"You two are so cute together", Becca squeals. The guys at our table roll their eyes.

20 minutes later, I've eaten my lunch. The bell rings. I tell Addison to tell Mrs. Drumme that I was sick, and Cole and I walk over with the guys to the rink.

"Hey, Coach Shaw. I want you to meet somebody", I yell from the opposite end of the rink from him.

I notice him talking to Marcus. I roll my eyes, but put my smile back on and rush towards them. I pull Cole along with me. Marcus sees us, rolls his eyes, and walks into the back hallways, guessing to the locker room.

"Coach, this is Cole. My boyfriend. The one from Maine".

Coach Shaw smiles. "It's great to finally meet you. I've heard great things about you", they shake hands. "I'm Coach Shaw".

"Cole", he replies. "It's good to meet you too. I haven't heard much about you, but I've heard how well you coach your team".

"Well, I'm honored", Shaw smiles. "Would you two like to join practice today? Freshman have a field trip today. You could take over. I'm sure Meredith could join too. She keeps her skates here".

Cole and I look at each other for a second. "If it's not any trouble. I've never had another hockey coach before. I would like to see how other coaches coach. My skates are in my car, I'll be right back". Cole kisses my cheek, and walks out of the rink.

Coach and I walk back into the girls locker room and grab my skates, helmet, and stick. I tie my skates and redo my hair into a braid. Walking back out, Cole meets me on the bench and he ties his own skates. The team skates out onto the ice and Marcus gives me a dirty look as he passes.

"Okay guys. Warm up laps. Twenty laps. Let's go, let's go", Coach yells.

The team drops their sticks and rush around the outer edge of the ice. Marcus and Will lead the pack. Cole and I watch.

Coach looks at us with an annoyed look. "I said. Twenty laps", he motions.

Cole and I rush out onto the ice. We skate as fast as we can to catch up to the end of the line. I'm going as fast as I can, but I know Cole can go faster. Coach smiles at me as I pass him, finishing the first lap. I smile back quickly.

24 laps later, I am out of breath, and the team probably could have gone another 25. "Okay boys. Blue line, now. Meredith, bag of pucks please".

The team, and Cole, line up on their zone's blue line and I walk off the ice and grab the mesh bag filled with 50 pucks. We have to count them before and after every practice. I get to work counting, putting each one into a milk crate. After the 50 are counted and Coach is done his spiel about passing and getting into the other team's zone, I throw the pucks onto the ice.

The team grabs their sticks, and our goalies get into each goal. Cole takes my stick, which is a little too short for him, but it works. Coach Shaw gives him a pinny and he joins the pinny team on the visiting sides zone.

For the next few minutes, Everything is fine. But then the practice, non-contact game starts. Marcus and Cole start at center. I stand on the bench and watch the center men closely. I don't have a good feeling about this.

Coach drops the puck, and Marcus wins it away. The entire team has trouble not being able to check anybody out of their way. That's what coach wants to get out of this game. Teaching them that checking people during the game is bad, no matter if they get a penalty or not. The non contact is how he gets them to do it.

Marcus rushes around Cole, but Cole reacts just in time. He moves his stick in front of Marcus's. He pushes the puck between Marcus's feet and to his teammate. Marcus huffs a breath and turns to try and get the puck back to his team.

Everything is going great, until the last face off. It's once again Marcus and Cole. Coach drops the puck. Cole wins it away, but Marcus stops. He doesn't move, or try for the puck.

Coach yells at Marcus. "Come on, let's get it together, White. This is how you keep your spot on first line".

Marcus ignores Coach, looking Cole straight in the eye. They both take off their helmets off. Marcus skates just inches away from Cole. "Why are you here? Shouldn't you be back in Missouri or where ever you came from, playing your own hockey. Don't ever think you can come back here. Your girl, she is ours now. She doesn't think about you, ever. Do you know that? She flirts with Aiden like no tomorrow. They are probably more of a couple than you and her are".

Aiden looks over at me, his eyes widen. I rush onto the ice to try to stop this. I know I'm not going to help much. I shred ice under my skates just a foot away from the boys. Aiden grabs my wrist to stop me. It's probably for the best.

"I know you are lying. Meredith has told me so many bad things about you, and I know nothing is going on between Aiden and Meredith. They are friends, just like Noah and Meredith are. We talk every single day. You're just jealous, Marcus". Cole steps a little bit closer to Marcus. "I know you asked her out on the first day of school. I know you're going out with Aiden's sister, and I know how much of an a$$ you are. So, how about you back off of me, before I kick your a$$ just like I did to the last person who was a jerk to my girlfriend". I don't know whether he was talking about his brother when I was attacked sophomore year or when Luke came back at the beginning of junior year.

Marcus looks like he is about to say something, but he just backs away from Cole for a second.

Then, Marcus punches Cole right in the face with his right hand. Hitting Cole just under his eye.