Chapter 17: 58 Days

I met my mother yesterday. My real one. She is really nice, and we agreed to keep in touch. It sounds like I just found new friend. But she is my real mother. My Mom is okay with me wanting to know her. She understands. I can't wait to learn more about her and who she is. I told Cole about it last night over the phone. He was very happy that I finally got to meet her.

Tonight is Noah's hockey game against Chicago University. The game starts at 7. I leave for the city right after lunch. I met with Noah for a while before he had to leave for the rink. I waited for Aiden at a different café than yesterday. Jonathan wanted us to meet at his apartment before the game so we could all go over together. His girlfriend, Lindsey, just came home from LA after a 3 month business trip.

I knock on the door. Waiting a moment, the door swings open, revealing Lindsey, in a Chicago University jersey and some leggings. "You must be Meredith", she says with an overly excited smile.

"Yes, I am. And this is Aiden". I motion to Aiden, who stands to my left.

"It's very nice to meet you both, come on in. Jonathan should be down in a second". She opens the door wider and lets us in. Aiden follows closely behind me. He is nervous. He's about to meet two famous NHL hockey players, and later tonight, my best friend. He's told me that he was most nervous to meet Noah because he said he had a lot to live up to.

Lindsey motions for us to sit on the couch in the living room. I nod politely and sit, Aiden sitting very close to me. I give him a reassuring smile. He smiles back.

A moment later, at the same time, the front door swings open and Jonathan walks down the stairs. Standing in the doorway, Patrick stands with a Chicago University sweatshirt on. Jonathan stands on the opposite side of me, also with a Chicago University sweatshirt on. And beside me, Aiden sits in his Chicago University sweatshirt on. 

"I'm the only one going for Noah's team. I mean, I know Lindsey wouldn't, because she has no idea who Noah is, but you two do. Come on", I say sarcastically. The rest of them laugh. Noah gave me his home jersey last night for me to borrow. It has his number, 13, and his name, Smith.

"Nice to see you too, Mere", Patrick says, winking at me.

The group sits and chats for awhile. I finally look at the clock. It's 5:58. "Oh my god, guys we are going to be late. We leave now, it's going to be 6:30 when we get there", I start to panic.

"Mere, we will be okay. Let's go". Jonathan reassures me. "It's not that far of a walk".

We head down the elevators and onto the city streets. It's getting dark, but being in the middle of the city, means it's constantly bright. The stadium is only a few blocks North, towards Lake Michigan. Then, just as we turn the corner, we find the Stan Makita stadium. The outside area in front is filled with people, as expected. I see few people wearing University of Maine shirts. Most just wear the Chicago University Devils shirts. The gold shirts with red lettering, or vice versa.

We give our tickets to the collectors at the front doors and head in to find our seats. Section 17, seats 4,5,6,7, and 8. Just next to Maine's penalty box, so I can yell at Noah if he gets a penalty. We take our seats and soon, Lindsey is whining. She isn't a huge fan of hockey, and apparently, her words not mine, she is moody and has a bad attitude. If you don't like hockey, how are you with an NHL player? This lifestyle takes a lot out of someone.

The game soon starts. It goes slow. No direct shots on goal for the first 10 minutes from either team. Maine's team has had one penalty, and CU has had two. All three for slashing.

3 minutes left in the first period, Noah has the puck. He does his best to keep the puck, but a CU player soon fights, and wins the puck away from Noah. He gets it back and crosses the blue line into CU's zone. Noah pushes the other player out of his way, and shoots a five hole goal. I stand up and cheer as loudly as I can. Not many other people do, this game being in Chicago and all.

The bear hug stops right in front of us. They pin Noah against the boards, slapping his back and his helmet. He turns around when they finish the celebration and he sees me. His face lights up and he winks at me. Noah takes a small piece of his jersey in his gloved hand, as if motioning to his jersey, that I am wearing. I nod cheerfully as he turns back to his bench.

The first period ends, and 15 minutes later, the second begins. CU scores a goal during their second power play. Noah and his teammate are skating up the ice towards the goal. Noah's defense partner defends Noah from the opposing team. Noah passes it, then is passed back to. Noah skids to a stop diagonal from the net. The puck is passed in a triangle. CU tries to retrieve it, but they fail. Finally, Noah looks to the goalie, who is on his knees. Noah takes the shot, the puck hitting off the goaltenders leg pads, then to the cross bar, and finally into the net.

I stand up and cheer. A boy behind me with a UM shirt cheers too. Noah skates back around to me quickly with a smirk on his face. He stops and does his hand signal for hat trick. He motions, as if putting a top hat on his head. I nod my head fast and he skates back over to the bench. People all look confused around me, especially Lindsey. "A hat trick, duh". I say. She still looks confused.

He's going for it, a hat trick. We have 16 minutes left in the third period. Noah skates down, pushing the opposing defender out of the way and takes a shot. It hits the crossbar and into the back of the net.

"And he did it folks, number thirteen, Noah Smith, of University of Maine has gotten a hat trick. Give it up for him", an announcer says over the speakers.

I jump up from my seat once again. The team piles onto Noah. I scream and shout loudly, then feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I take it out quickly, Cole's face lights up the screen.

"He did it!" I scream as I accept the phone call.

I'm still jumping up and down. "I can't believe it", Cole says, he's watching it at home with the other seniors on the hockey team. Sampson, Brian, Michael, and others. "This is his first one ever."

"This is amazing", I say with a very cheerful smile and a small laugh. I can't believe I got to be at the game where he did his first hat trick. I feel so loved", I joke.

"He did it for you, you know? He wanted you to be there when he did it".

Oh, Noah. He is pretty great. I couldn't ask for better.