Chapter 33: A Perfect Fit

May

I got a job at the U of Maine Bookstore. My parents promised me they would match whatever I saved for my prom dress. I saved 300 dollars, so I have a total of 600, and I can keep the rest of the money.

My only real friend I want to take with me today is Noah, and it was his suggestion to come with me. Cole refuses to come because he wants to be stunned on Prom night, instead of in the store.

"I want to come with you", Cara says over the phone as I walk in the house on Friday afternoon after school.

"Cara, you're in Ohio", I laugh back, shutting only the main door, keeping the screen door open to air the place out.

I hang my backpack on the railing and look through the stack of mail. Most is actually for Noah, but I do have my check from Mom and Dad. 300 hundred dollars. "By Zoom, duh", Cara laughs.

I rush up the stairs into my room. I'm home alone until 7. Noah has practice right after his classes are over, it's his last practice of the year, and they aren't in the finals, so it's more of just a goodbye thing. "Okay, fine. But you can't yell, or scream, or start crying, just like you did when we got your prom dress last year. If you do, I hang up. Got it?" I laugh.

"Yay. Call me when you start trying everything on tomorrow. Do it from your tablet so I have a better image. I got to go. Party to get ready for. Love you sis", Cara says quickly.

"Okay Cara, call you tomorrow" I hang up the phone and open my balcony doors, letting the wind travel through my room.

~~~~~

"Are you sure you really want to do this?" I ask Noah as we walk up to Pompom Prom Dress palace.

"Of course I'm sure. This is going to be super fun", Noah reassures me. He holds the door open for me. I smile and walk through the doors.

"Welcome to Pompom. I'm Deb. How may I assist you today?" A small woman greets me.

"I'm just looking for a super cute prom dress", I smile back, taking a glance around the entire front room.

"Well, do you have a specific style, and a price range? People who come in here are usually looking for a little bit more pricey, but not too expensive" Deb smiles at me, then takes a look at Noah, who's standing at my side. "Do we need to find you a tuxedo?"

"No, not for him. I'm Meredith, and this is Noah. He's the best friend. My boyfriend has just refused to see me in my dress before prom night. Noah's here to help me find the dress. But my price range is anything below six hundred. And, I did like the whole, crop top, floor length skirt thing, if you have it here. But I'm kind of open to anything".

"Well, let's get started then", Deb leads us into a room to the left of the front lobby. The sign above the entrance was the Sherri Hill logo. She's taking us into the expensive part of the store.

"So, this is our Sherri Hill 2016 Winter and Spring collection. All of these", she points at the back wall with dresses of all different colors, "are all between three hundred and five hundred fifty dollars. So start here, and if you somehow don't find anything, we can go look somewhere else. I will be in the dressing area when you are ready. Take your time", Dedra walks off through another doorway. 

I find 7 crop top dresses, all different colors. I call Cara on my tablet, introduce her to Dedra, and set her on the couch next to Noah. Dedra hangs all of the dresses on special hangers in the dressing room and I start on the first one.

A black one with silver sparkles on the top: Noah wasn't a huge fan, he said it wasn't me. Cara liked the top, but not how the skirt looked.