Chapter 2: 93 Days

I use my map to find the cafeteria and grab a sandwich. I hold my tray and take a deep breath. I look around the for an empty table. There are none.

From a table in the middle of the room, a girl with blonde hair, bright green eyes, and even brighter pink lip stick waves my way. I look around me for a moment to make sure she wasn't waving to someone else. Soon enough, I see no one stand anywhere close to me, so I walk slowly over to her and her friends.

"Hey, Meredith. Do you want to sit here?", she asks. I think she is in my calculus class. I nod gratefully.

I sit slowly, putting my tray in front of me. "This might sound sorta off", I wince a little, looking at the girl. "But, how do you know who I am?"

She smiles a very big smile. "I'm Addison. I'm in your calculus class. And I hear you are supposed to be in my French class next period. I thought you would need someone to sit with today, so I'm at your service", her friends all stare at me, each with a smile on their faces. "So tell us about yourself. Where did you come from?"

I clear my throat. "I'm from Maine. I moved there from Michigan in sophomore year. Hockey is my favorite sport. My boyfriend of two years lives out in Maine. I have an older sister who goes to Ohio State", I take a deep breath. "And to get it out there, my father is Randy Adams".

"You mean thee Randy Adams? Like, Detroit Red Wings hat trick legend who made the final goal in '00 Stanley cup championship game! That's awesome!"

"Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool too", I take a bite of my sandwich.

Addison tugs on my shoulder, turning me back to her. "Okay, enough about hockey. Tell us about your boyfriend. What's his name? Is he cute? Does he play a sport?".

The girls all focus strictly on me. "His name is Cole. He's extremely cute, in my opinion at least. We started dating about a month after I started school in Maine. He plays hockey".

"Do you have a picture?" a red headed girl asks.

I take my phone out, going through pictures I have of Cole. I never realized I had so many. I show them a picture Cara took of me and him together at our going away party night. His arm is around my shoulder and my arms are wrapped around his torso. The girls at the table practically fall out of their chairs. I'm not kidding either. They swoon and study the picture for a moment.

"Meredith, he's not cute. He is smoking hot. Why did you lie to us?" Addison laughs.

Just as I am about to put my phone in my bag, it rings. I look at the screen to see Noah's face light it up.

"Hello Noah", the girls faces go from happy and giddy to puzzled.

"Hey Princess, how has your new school been? College is scary as hell", he laughs a little.

"It's been okay. But I miss you and Cole so much. It's kind of scary here. And this guy I met is a total a$$. He tried to take me out on a date, then I was about ready to punch him". Noah laughs again. "I'm sitting with a few girls who have taken a liking to me, so maybe they will be my first female friends in high school". The girls smile.

"Well, you get back to your new friends. Have fun,Princess. Text me later. You, Cole and I have some things to go over. Love you".

"Love you too Noah. Text you later", I hang up the phone to see the girls look even more puzzled at me.

"Um.... Who was that? And why was that not your hottie boyfriend? Is he hotter?" Addison asks.

"That was Noah. He is mine and Cole's best friend. He goes to the University of Maine. And that whole 'love you' thing wasn't a boyfriend-girlfriend thing, it was a bestie thing. Cole hears us say it all the time, he is fine with it". The girls faces kind of ease themselves as I speak.

"So, why do you have to text him later", Addison bats her eyelashes and looks me in the eye.

"Cole and I both got early admission to University of Maine at the end of this year. We are going to move in with Noah in a condo his parents bought for him. We need to go over a few plans. Cole, Noah, and I are going to have a group call tonight at some point. I think tonight he have to go over how living together is actually going to work. Like schedule wise, because apparently Noah wants a pet, and if it's a dog, I refuse to take care of it".

"Well, that sounds really fun. I wish I had guy friends like that. I mean, we have Marcus, but he doesn't act like that with us girls".

I tense. "You mean the hockey player Marcus?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?" She looks puzzled once again.

"He was the a$$ who was hitting on me this morning".

"Oh, I'm sorry. He can be like that. You just need to get used to him, he will be okay after that", the girls give me a reassuring smile.

I soon learn the other girls names. Dani, Maddy, Becca, Tif, and Charlotte. The bell rings soon enough and I walk with Addison and Becca to French class.

New friends, who are actually girls.