Chapter 5: 88 Days

This can't be a date, I have a boyfriend. He may not be anywhere near Illinois, but I really don't care. I am not going on a date with my friend's brother. Isn't that just wrong? Isn't like a girl code or something?

After at least a half an hour of talking, and finally ordering food, Aiden asks the question. But not the question I would think. "So, what is your boyfriend like?"

I look at him, confused for a moment. "Well, he plays hockey, like you. He is super cute, which I'm sure you wouldn't care about, and he really likes me for me, which in the past, that usually didn't work", I take a sip of my drink.

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened in your past?" Aiden asks with a smile. "Like, where did the mysterious new girl come from?"

"Well, before I lived in Maine, I was raised just outside of Detroit", I might as well give the entire story. "My father played for the Detroit Red Wings, Randy Adams. He got married to Kerry, his first wife and had Cara, my older sister. As soon as she was born, they got divorced and my dad married my mom, then had me. That all happened within the first two years. My mom got fed up with the popularity of being an NHL player's wife and left my dad. Then, Kerry became my mother. My real mom gave me up and Kerry adopted me, I haven't actually met my mom, being six months old doesn't really count. So, after my father retired and got a real job, he decided to stay in Detroit and Cara and I were raised there. People always knew who my dad was and they only liked me because I was his daughter. I had some trouble with an ex-boyfriend. It didn't end well".

"Well, your dad seems super cool. His shot in the '00 Stanley cup game was legendary. I wish I could play as good as him. Have you ever played hockey? Or liked it at least?" He asks as the waitress sits our food down in front of us.

I take a deep breath. "I played hockey until 7th grade. An injury from an opponent broke my hip and leg bone, and I didn't play again until last year. I still can't play very often because of the way the bones and muscles healed. The doctors said I could only play every other game. So this year, I just decided not to play. I know I didn't want to play past high school, so I just told myself that junior year was my final year". I change the subject before I can start to cry. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"I don't have a girlfriend. But my boyfriend's name is Eric. He goes to another school here in this town. I love him to pieces". I stare at Aiden for a second. My eyes go wide.

"You never gave me gay vibes! Like what?" We both laugh.

We eat quietly for a few minutes. "So, what's Eric like?" I ask with a smirk.

Aiden blushes a little. "He's sweet, and kind, and smart, and so many other great things, I don't even know where to begin. We've been together for about two years. It will be two years on November eighth".

I interrupt Aiden, "Wait, November eighth? Really? That's my anniversary with Cole. It's going to be our two year anniversary this year too! Oh my god. That's so funny!" Both Aiden and I laugh for a moment. "So where did you guys meet?"

Aiden finishes his burger. "At a party. Cliche, I know. He plays hockey for the team in this town. Neither of us have told our siblings or friends that we were gay. Everyone just thinks we just happen to be friends. Which I'm okay with. The guys on the team are always making fun of gay people. I don't get it, so I can't tell them", Aiden's voice cracks a little. "I love him so much. I really don't want people to judge us just because we like our own gender".

"Well, first, I'm glad you are happy. And second, I completely agree. Who cares who you want to kiss and love?"

We chat for a little while about Maine and about Chicago. Aiden reminds me of Noah. Same sense of humor, and the adorable, crooked smile.

Aiden and I decide to go back to my house. My parents, I know, are going to freak out. A guy in my house without them knowing who he is, and the fact that I already have a boyfriend, mom would have a heart attack.

I give Aiden directions to my house and he mostly just follows me. I park in my garage and he parks outside of it. I meet him in my driveway. We walk up to the side door, leading into the kitchen. I open the door as I see 3 people sitting at the kitchen table.

Cara's home!