Prologue

"Target in position."

"Update?"

"Unarmed. Now moving towards the headquarters."

"Good. Make sure to get the full view."

I leaned back on my chair, the chewing sound of my tangy apple suddenly disrupted by the beeping of my walkie talkie.

"The target is going to release its weapon, ma'am."

"Really?!" I sat up, grabbing my binoculars and positioning them on the so-called target.

There he was.

Kim Seokjin (or as the girls in my class call him: Prince Jin) was my next door neighbour. I never got to talk to him, as he was five years older (plus, he had only moved in last winter), but my bedroom window gave me the perfect view of his back yard. It was no good in the winter, but I considered myself blessed in the summertime.

"He's going to do it. I see him fanning himself." My best friend, Park Hyerim, said over the walkie talkie. Fortunately, she was Jin's neighbour on the other side.

"Great. Make sure to get your camera out, we need something to boast about when we get back to school." I said, leaning against my window as I saw Jin tugging onto his shirt.

"Will do- Yah, Jimin!" Hyerim's voice broke off, then I heard some cracking noises a few houses away.

I sighed. "One soldier down. I guess I'll have to do this on my own." I walked away from the window, going over to my shelves and looking for my camera. Once I saw it, I picked it up and ran back to my original position – so I wouldn't miss anything. My eyes widened, Jin was about to pull up his shirt! I gulped, steadying the camera so it could focus.

"Alright, let's make the most of this summer." I said, ready to click the camera button. I had the perfect view, the perfect opportunity.

Key word: Had.

"What are you doing?" My brother, Kim Taehyung, came into view – making me take a picture of his stupid derp face instead. I groaned, pushing him out of the way, but it was too late. Jin had already gone inside.

"No!" I yelled, falling onto my bed with my head in my palms. Taehyung sat next to me, gently placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Were you creeping on that guy again?" He asked. "You know, one day, the neighbours will complain." I raised my head, glaring at him. However, being the Taehyung that he was, he completely mistook my expression and smiled.

"Mum wanted to me to ask you, if you wanted to go out with Jungkook and I- please say no." Taehyung said, but by the evil (yet, slightly suspicious) smile on my face, he already knew my answer.

***

"You haven't grown one bit!" I shrieked, ruffling Jungkook's hair. Jeon Jungkook, one of the introverted guys in my class, was one of my brother's friends (including Jimin). He was about an inch shorter, with black hair and a regular face.

"Yah, we just saw each other last week!" Jungkook ran away, while I chased him through the street.

The street we lived on was a special street, located in the quiet side of Busan. Our parents – or grandparents even – lived here before we were even born. It was a small street, with a rustic, old type of vibe, but everyone was happy. I knew everyone of course; Mrs Ryu (who baked amazing apple pies); the Jungs (with their unusually optimistic son, who visited Jin from time to time); Mr Min (whose grandson visited every spring break); the Parks (where my best friend Hyerim lived) and the Jeons. All of these families have been there since I was born, only Mr and Mrs Min (along with their son) moved away to Daegu last spring.Hence the Kims moving in.

"Two strawberry and one cherry, please." Taehyung ordered, since he was the only one with money. Jungkook and I sat on a bench, waiting.

Jungkook turned to me. "Why do you like Seokjin-sunbae so much?" I was startled, not knowing how to answer.

"Uh- I guess- I don't know." I shrugged.

Jungkook looked at me with a blank face. "Seriously Aeri?" He scoffed. "You probably just like him for the looks." I gasped, about to say something when Taehyung came back.

"Here you go." He handed us our ice cream, then sat down and bit into his.

"How come Jimin isn't coming out?" I asked, suddenly wondering what happened to him.

"Grounded." Taehyung replied, not even glancing at me.

"Oh." I simply said, before going back to my cherry ice cream.

***

"Ah, today was nice." Taehyung said, laying down on the grass between me and Jungkook.

"Yeah, it's sad I will be leaving soon." Jungkook sighed, not realising the shocked faces on me and my brother.

"What?!" Taehyung and I asked in unison.

Jungkook blinked. "Didn't I tell you guys? I'm going to America on Tuesday."

Taehyung thought hard, before gasping. "But today is Saturday! Which means you only have three more days!" He yelled, holding up three fingers. Jungkook nodded, laughing a bit at our expressions.

"You two look so alike." He said, before bursting out in laughter. Taehyung and I looked at each other, then back at him, laughing as well.

***

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked. Now, Jungkook and I sat on my roof. We were next door neighbours, our bedroom walls were practically connected. Most of our deep talk happened here, after midnight. Neither of our families knew, since we were usually quiet.

He shrugged. "I don't know. It just didn't come up."

"Why are you even going? We are in 6th grade, our last year in primary school." I whined, hearing a chuckle from the latter.

"You're so cute." Jungkook said, chuckling at the pout I showed him. Then, we continued looking at the starry sky above us. After a long minute of silence, Jungkook sighed.

"I wonder what it's like to be Seokjin-sunbae, having all the girls fall for you." He said, hugging his knees.

"Wouldn't it be tiresome?" I asked. "Everyone is falling for you, so you have no idea who to fall for."

Jungkook looked at me. "What if I do?"

"What?" I asked.

"What if I already have a girl in mind? Then can I become like Seokjin-sunbae?" Jungkook asked, leaning back so that his arms balanced him.

"I guess," I said. "I'm not sure, though."

"Then let's make a deal," He said, sitting up. "If I come back from America, and become one of the most handsomest guys ever, you will be my girlfriend."

I choked on my spit.

As I coughed, Jungkook chuckled and patted my back. "Deal?"

I hesitated. "Okay, deal."

We shook hands.

And that was the last thing we did before meeting again, 4 years later.