Neglect

A month had passed, yet Hyerim and I didn't even try to negotiate. At first, I tried to reach out to her, tell her it's OK, but she ignored me and told me to never talk to her. She had fully turned on everything to go with Jackson. Sometimes, I saw them eating each other's faces out near the lockers. And even though Hyerim didn't show it, I saw how fake it when she acted cool and carefree.

I asked Jimin about her everyday. He told me that she rarely came home, and when she did she went right to her room without dinner. Their parents had talked to her as well, but Hyerim just turned a blind eye on it.

"She's been throwing up lately too," Jimin once told me as we were going to school. "I would've already beat up Jackson by now, but that punk always runs away."

Over time, I realised how serious it was getting. How Hyerim looked paler and paler everyday. Her eyes were lifeless even when she smirked. I was going to get used to it – I knew that – but everything changed when one day I was going to the grocery store and saw Hyerim faint.

That day was October 11th, two days before Jimin's birthday. Taehyung and I decided to go with the easiest and just bake a cake, which Jimin would just give away to us anyway. It worked every year. This year, Jungkook also wanted to join in, and since I lost the coin toss – I was buying the ingredients.

It was late evening, the sun was bound to set, when I saw Hyerim come out of the grocery store. She was carrying a small, clear plastic bag, which had a small cuboid box inside. She was looking down and walked like a zombie. I wanted to just let her walk, since she wouldn't talk to me, but just as I was about to walk to the entrance – she collapsed.

"Hyerim!" I yelled as I ran to her side. I turned her on her back and saw she was unconscious. I checked her pulse, she was still alive. All I had to do was dial the ambulance, but I found myself dialling Jimin instead.

"Yes?"

"Jimin, it's Hyerim... She... Collapsed." I heard something fall on the other line, then I heard running and shouting.

"Where are you?"

"The local grocery store." I told him, then hung up. I tried to calm my breathing, which was near to impossible. Looking around, I noticed the clear plastic bag. I fought my guilty feeling and looked inside, my jaw dropping in shock. Inside was the cuboid package: a pregnancy test. I shut my eyes to think; the throwing up; the paleness; the not-staying-at-home attitude – Hyerim was pregnant.

***

Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook arrived at the store soon after I tried not to collapse myself over the realisation. Jimin had called their parents, who arrived in their 7 seater car and drove us all to the hospital. The hospital itself was a mess, as it seemed that a serious car crash had happened. Doctors and nurses were running around, the whole building a bloody mess, literally.

It was hard to get a doctor to take in Hyerim, but eventually Jimin lost his patience and kept bugging one particular doctor to look at her. Twenty or so minutes later, we were all sitting in silence outside the examining room. Taehyung had zoned out completely, staring at the ceiling while laying on Jimin's lap.

I myself didn't dare to think about anything, because everything just led me to the thought of Hyerim experiencing worse than what I had. Jungkook had gone over to get everyone something from the vending machine, like a good child he always was. That was what I turned my attention to, how Jungkook hadn't changed much during the 4 years apart.  He became more forward, yes, but he was still the respectful, kind, cute even, kid that every adult adored. My train of thought was disturbed when Jungkook stood in front of me, shoving a chocolate bar in my face. I smiled softly, taking the treat from him and unwrapping the wrapper.

"What's on your mind, kiddo?" He sat next to me, sipping on his blackcurrant juice box. I shook my head, biting into the scrumptious chocolate bar, the milky substance melting in my mouth. Jungkook watched me, his eyes unreadable as he simply smiled when I noticed him staring. He put his free hand on top of mine, squeezing it with reassurance. I licked my bottom lip, my eyes watering as I thought about how I wasn't there as my best friend suffered.

The doctor came out the room, his clipboard in hand. All of us instantly stood up, waiting for the results. The man simply looked at us with a smile.

"Miss Park hasn't been eating very well, is lacking vitamin D," the doctor paused. "We also found some bruise marks along her arms and thighs. Nevertheless, the baby is fine so-"

"Baby?" Mrs Park spoke out, confused. The doctor nodded.

"Yes, Miss Park is 3 weeks pregnant." I felt my limbs go numb as I let it all sink in, Jungkook had to help me stand straight. Mrs Park also had Mr Park wrap his arms around her as she stood frozen, her young wrinkled face turning older as she let the information seep in.

"Can we go in?" I asked, acknowledging the doctor nodding.

"Maybe it would be best that the most stable ones visit her first, I don't think the parents are ready." The doctor whispered to me, to which I nodded and thanked him. I turned towards the three boys, ready to fight for it.

"I'm her bestfriend." I stated.

"I'm her brother." I rolled my eyes at Jimin.

"Exactly why you should be one of the last to see her, you look like you're about to kill someone." I looked over at Taehyung, who remained quiet and still staring into space. I sighed, taking a step into the room.

Hyerim opened her eyes slowly, his lips tweaking upwards as her eyes made eye contact with mine.

"Thank you." She whispered out, beginning to close her eyes again.

"For what?" I asked, feeling my heart fall to the pit of my stomach as I saw her weak form.

"For not leaving."
~

A/N: bubbles :)