Chapter 13

Dad came over to mine a few days later.

"Enzo about?" he asked as I let him in.

"On a "team building" day with work." I air quoted. "Should be back in the evening."

It was the usual activity day, go karting, paint ball or obstacle course, something fun that supposedly helped them bond even though they'd all worked together and been friends for years. I'd spent the day relaxing alone, reading, watching TV, not thinking about the baby.

"Right. Good because we need to talk." he said awkwardly.

My heart sank, I felt like a child who'd gotten in big trouble. "What about?"

"I've been thinking, tell me to shut up if I'm out of order but about this baby..."

"Come and sit down, d'you want a drink, tea?" I led him to the living room, trying to hide my nervousness, if he hadn't realised when I first told him, he had now.

"No, I'm fine." He sat down and I followed suit.

"What about the baby?"

"How is it going?"

"The usual, making me throw up loads, all that jazz." I shrugged, knowing that wasn't what he was here to ask. "It's good, it's going well."

"That lad you told me about a few weeks ago, Liam..."

"Yeah?"

"Were you still seeing him when the baby was conceived?"

"Yes. But I'm sure it's nothing to do with him."

"Well were you being safe, every time?" He cringed, he hated that he had to ask his daughter that.

"I can't remember, sometimes we were drunk and stuff." If I knew we were I wouldn't give him a second thought anymore.

He stared at me. "He got you on drugs?"

"No! I didn't use anything and he didn't try to pressure me either."

"But he uses?"

I nodded reluctantly. "Coke, he's in a band, it's just what they do."

"And there is the chance that this Liam is the father?"

I nodded again, not wanting to admit it out loud. "Please don't tell Enzo or Mum or anyone, this is Enzo's baby, he was just a mistake."

"Of course I won't go shouting it about. I'll keep quiet because I know we're worrying over nothing." he asserted. "But. But if that very small chance is the outcome I'll support you, no problem."

"Thanks Dad."

"What you doing with the rest of your day?" He moved on from that subject in a flash.

"Just chilling. You?"

"I could make us that tea." he offered.

"Alright, but if you're staying please don't go on about the baby."

"We are more alike than you know." he chuckled. "I got so sick of everyone talking about you this early on but that was because everyone thought we were idiots for going through with it. How wrong they were."

He went and made the tea and we talked, not about the baby.

...

Jared came to the shop with another attempt to get a tattoo. This time he wanted some quote or lyrics done that he'd regret quicker than his last idea, apparently the Earls' Court gug had inspired him.