Chapter 22

It was a shock to see Liam the next day and the next. They weren't on tour until August which meant the twins would see a lot of their Dad, if he could keep to his word.

He was doing alright as a parent but we couldn't just be friends again or whatever it was that we were before all of this. We only talked to each other if he needed to ask where something was for the twins, nappies, bottles, their dummies or when he decided to bring up the issue of their names.

"What about Spike like Spike Island?" he suggested.

"What?"

"As a name for Leon?"

I'd already rejected some other names, this was worse than all of them put together.

"You might be a celebrity but I'm not, I can't name my son something like that."

"What's wrong with Spike? Their gig changed my fucking life."

"It's a dog name."

"Are you gonna say no to everything?"

"I'm not, I mean his name doesn't have to be a reference." I didn't want to seem like I was trying to fight him but I didn't think he was taking it seriously.

...

Liam was in the bedroom with our daughter. He was meant to be getting her to sleep and leave her in her cot but I could hear he kept talking to her as he rocked her. Leon was already asleep in his.

"Grace, Gracie... Come on, kid I like that name. Peggy, after my Ma." I saw Liam trying to get names to appeal to Lilliana. "She'll want to spoil you rotten."

I stood at the side of him and spoke quietly so I didn't make him jump. "Does your Mum even know?"

"I don't know how to fucking tell her."

"Does she not read...?"

"Would you let your Mum read that shite?"

"Her and everyone I know did read all about me and you." I pointed out. "I didn't have a choice who read what."

"Not the same." he shook his head. "They just said we were together and the twins, none of the trouble I get into. She doesn't need to know about any of that."

I'd forgotten how much he really cared, especially for his Mum.

"We could name Lilliana after her if you want, Peggy is a nice name." I knew it was short for something but I couldn't think what.

"No, she wouldn't fucking like it." he shook his head. "She'll say it's a daft idea."

"What about something similar?" I suggested. "We'll know she's named after her and she won't be embarrassed, like Penny or Poppy or something."

"You already thought she was a flower so Poppy sounds great... Poppy Grace." he decided.

"Beautiful." I agreed without questioning why Grace. "Maybe we should go up to Manchester and tell her in person, let her meet them."

"Yeah, once we've got both names sorted."

"I like Leon."

"I don't! It's Noel backwards for a start."

"So it is." I said, showing the surprise in my voice. "It's still a great name."

"I proper can't stop thinking about the name John Paul."

I just shook my head, I didn't have the energy to reject another name like that again. Plus we were actually talking and I didn't want to be the one to ruin it.