Chapter 37

I settled right back into my job. It was so good working again. It was where I belonged. The only thing was it was like I was the new girl, not the close mate of my coworkers that I was meant to be. I'd missed out on so much stuff with them and all I had to tell them was about the kids or Liam. Something told me they didn't want to hear about them so I kept quiet on them.

I was even behind on the music they talked about and played on the stereo. I needed days in the virgin megastore just to try to catch up. As if I had time for that with twins to keep on schedule, maybe I'd get time for a quick visit at some point.

There was no regretting my decisions, not when I had two beautiful children and a loving husband but if I'd not gone to that shop on that day, everything would be normal. I wouldn't be trying to patch up a rift between myself and my closest friends. I'd be living a life that had gone dull with the husband I married too young.

At the shop, reunited with my friends, with Liam across the world, with the kids at Mum's for the day, I still couldn't get him off my mind. He was so annoying, I wouldn't miss him if he wasn't!

...

Oasis had gone back off to America. It was hard to keep up with them. Were they giving up on touring or weren't they? It was only a week but watching Liam go off again and him not being around was hell.

They only had a few gigs with U2 so they weren't away that long, still I was impatient to have Liam back. Even though I was at work, busy every day, the week seemed to pass so slowly without him. As soon as they were back in London I was ready and waiting to bring him home.

I dropped the twins off with Dad so we didn't have to worry about them until later and I met the band at Supernova Heights to pick him up.

We threw our arms around each other and kissed. I didn't want to let go. It was like my man had been off to war and I needed to reward his bravery. Obviously he hadn't,

"Alright, he's not been away that long." Noel interrupted us.

"You can talk, you took Meg with you." Alan stuck up for us.

"Cos we were already in America, could hardly tell her to piss off when we just got married and she wanted to watch us, unlike her." he jabbed his finger at me.

I ignored his needless defensiveness and looked around. "Where is she?"

"She doesn't need to go chasing us around to prove anything." Liam spoke up before answering my question. "Gone to see her parents or summat."

"Oh okay, and I'll come to your next gig if you really want me to."

"No," Noel denied me. "You're alright, he don't need no distractions."

"Aww, I really wanted to spend a night at your gig." I responded sarcastically although I kind of did .

"Good thing you're not invited then."

"I thought you two were friends." Alan interrupted our attempts to snap at each other.

"We are." we said fiercely in union.

We'd be fine if he wasn't a dick, refusing our wedding and then taking Meg off to marry her out of the blue. We'd be fine if he didn't still have a problem with me being with Liam. We would be fine if he wasn't him.

"I even got you a present." Noel said, completely ignoring my outburst.

"Really?" I asked wondering why he'd get anything for me.

He grabbed a plastic bag which was folded around a CD case sized square object inside and passed it me unceremoniously. I pulled it out the bag. He'd given me a Metallica CD and I instantly saw it was signed.